What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cindy

Staff member
Natural light levels

March 2014
Bright light all day without direct sunlight on plants.

All of my Neps are in natural light so I took readings using a light meter. The first reading was taken at 10am and by 4pm, the light level has gone up by at least 2000 lux at the shadiest spot and at the brightest spot the reading was 35000 lux. For those who are interested in growing lowland/intermediate species, I am listing plants that are producing pitchers and the light levels they are at this season.

At 10am. 70%RH, 28degC.
750-1700 lux: N. adnata, N. longifolia (in breadbox i.e. terrarium)
1500-4000 lux: N. ampullaria, N. northiana, N. sumatrana, N. madagascariensis, N. mirabilis var. globosa (Viking), N. boschiana, N. hirsuta, N. bicalcarata, N. andamana, N. rafflesiana, N. longifolia, N. merrilliana, N. benstonei, N. reinwardtiana (in partial shade of other plants)
4000-10000 lux: N. campanulata, N. rowanae, N. treubiana, N. gracilis, N. hirsuta 'red', N. khasiana, N. albomarginata, N. distillatoria, N. mirabilis, N. veitchii (not shaded)

Not a species but N. x ventrata - my fav hybrid because of the way the pitcher reacts to light levels

Species (can you recognise them?)

T5 light levels

I use T5 lights for a wide range of CPs which I find may go dormant with fluctuating natural light levels at my balcony. Sometimes it is also hard to maintain the red colouration throughout the monsoon seasons.

Light level range for assorted species below: 3000-8000 lux

Sample species under different light levels

D. dilatato-petiolaris 5000 lux

D. dilatato-petiolaris 7000 lux

Cephalotus 2000 lux

Cephalotus 6000 lux

Cephalotus 12000 lux

Intermediate Nepenthes in breadbox 25000-7500 lux
breadbox_assorted_nepenthes_zps3003fbc8.jpg

Such beautifully grown plants! Thanks for the detailed information and excellent pics.

Very cool Cindy,

if you want to do qualitative comparisons at certain frequencies you can use LED's/

A LED will produce light at a certain frequency when current is applied, but they also work in reverse.
They produce a small current when exposed to light at their rated frequency.

;-)

Back