What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Native species, conservation, etc.

@ Copper: You should contact your state's Parks and Wildlife to findout about programs... Here, in special cases they will build boardwalks on the site to view the wildlife, I know you get some benefit; tax relief, portion of the profit, etc. I have only heard of it once, but hey, it's worth a try!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Copper, I believe what you are doing is cp's only real hope.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (0zzy @ June 06 2003,04:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Copper, I believe what you are doing is cp's only real hope.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
umm, yeah, that too!
confused.gif
wink.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

It's also hard watching a bog dissapear because it is protected. We have a small 7 acre bog on our property (up here there's really no rules about building in bogs so our house was built on the edge of it) but every year it's slowly dissapearing. We've been here over 10 years and when I think about how small the bog and the lake in the middle of it have gotten.. it breaks my heart. The drosera used to be so thick they looked like a glittering carpet of little red jewels.. now they are being overgrown by shrubs and spruce trees. Worst of all the P. villosa is being pushed out as well. What our bog really needs is a wild fire..
Heh.. try telling your parent you want to set fire to the back yard to improve the environment for CP's... I just don't know why she didn't take it well
rolleyes.gif

At least Alaska is still big enough and unpopulated enough that thousands and thousands of acres burn in wild fires every year.. making the habitat better for a wide variety of plants and animals.. but I guess my bog is just out of luck.. unless I get really ambituous with a weed wacker ..
confused.gif

Talk to your mom about having somebody else come in a burn it. The foresty service, or even you local fire dept. They may do it as a practice burn.

I tried.. but they won't do things like that here because we are outside of the fire district.
confused.gif
So they are worried because if something happened and the fire got out of control or caught our house nobody would send a fire truck. They would send state troopers to be sure everyone was evacuated.. but that's all..

Purplesundew,

What's the reason for your bog being overgrown? Is it as a direct result of the house/other human activity, or is it just natural succession? Do you get many natural fires up there, or are they suppressed? Apologies for all the questions, but you are fortunate to live in such a nice part of the world.

Giles

Carnivorous plants that are native to the Nordic countrys (Denmark ( including Greenland), Finland, Sweden, Iceland and Norway)

we have, including with local name, Nor.=Norwegian, Swe.=Swedish, Dan.= Danish, Ice.=Icelandic, Fin:Finish

Utricularia ochroleuca,  Swe:Blekbläddra, Nor:Mellomblærerot , Dan:Kortsporet Blærerod , Fin:Kalvasvesiherne

Utricularia minor Swe:Dvärgbläddra, Nor:Småblærerod. Dan:Liden Blærerod, Ice:Blöðrujurt , Fin:pikkuvesiherne

Pinguicula villosa Swe:Dvärgtätört
Nor: Dvergtettegras  Dan:Lådden Vibefedt Fin: Karvayökönlehti

Utricularia intermedia Swe: Dybläddra, Nor:Gytjeblærerod  Dan:Storlæbet Blærerod Fin:
Rimpivesiherne

Pinguicula alpina Swe:Fjälltätört Nor: Fjelltettegras  Dan:Alpe-Vibefedt  Fin:Valkoyökönlehti  Ice:Fjallalyfjagras

Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purpurea Swe:Flugtrumpet

Drosera rotundifolia Swe:Rundsileshår
Nor:Rundsoldogg  Dan:Rundbladet Soldug  Fin:pyöreälehtikihokki  Ice:Sóldögg

Drosera intermedia Swe:Småsileshår  Nor:Dikesoldogg  Nor:Liden Soldug  Fin:pikkukihokki

Drosera anglica Swe:Storsileshår  Nor:Smalsoldogg  Dan:Langbladet Soldug  Fin:pitkälehtikihokki

Utricularia stygia Swe:Sumpbläddra Nor:Sumpblærerot  Dan:Thors Blærerod

Utricularia australis Swe:Sydbläddra
Nor:Vrangblærerot Dan:Slank Blærerod Fin:Lännenvesiherne

Pinguicula vulgaris Swe:Tätört
Nor:Tettegras  Dan:Almindelig Vibefedt  Fin: Siniyökönlehti  Ice:Lyfjagras, Hleypisgras

Utricularia vulgaris Swe:Vattenbläddra  Nor:Storblærerod  Dan:Almindelig Blærerod  Fin:Isovesiherne

I have heard that you can find Sarracenia in southern Sweden and a few places in Denamark, but I'm not sure about this but a swedish website include Sarracenia on the list of plants of plants native to Scandinavia
regards Bjørn

Giles- It's due to suppression. Alaska has many wildfires every summer and up north they are allowed to rampage for thousands of acres. Down here they can't let them burn because of houses, etc. They have controlled burns in the state parks and such when the habitat starts to stagnate.
We can't do that here
confused.gif

I'm pleased to say that our house and our family has had a very limited effect on the bog. I've explained to everyone who lives here about the bog and it's flora and taught them to identify and enjoy them without causing harm..
Yes.. Alaska is beautiful.. I love the country up here and it will be heartbreaking to leave it.. I feel very blessed to have been raised here
smile.gif

Just a thought, but some fire departments like to do training in the places they would actually have to put out fires.  While you are outside the fire protection district, they might still be interested in doing a 'training' at your house.  They might also do it as a preventative measure to burn any accumulated 'fuel' and prevent a bad wild fire from getting started there and spreading into their district. The problem I see with this is the damage that could be done driving the equipment in to where they need it to control the burn. If they are made aware of the problems this would cause, they might be able to find ways to minimize their impact. Just a thought

Washington State:

Utricularia Minor
Utricularia Vulgaris

Pinguicula Vulgaris

Drosera Rotundifolia
Drosera Anglica

Im pretty sure these are all of them, if not, someone fill me in.
Kevin

BjørnNorman,
Are you sure those sar species are native? I thought they were only native to North America....Are you sure those aren't introduced species?
confused.gif

WOW, that's a lot of posts since a little weekend vacation getaway!
wink.gif
That's really interesting to compare and contrast on what goes where!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 09 2003,10:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BjørnNorman,
   Are you sure those sar species are native?  I thought they were only native to North America....Are you sure those aren't introduced species?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
sorry,I ment introduce....

Well, another swamp gone here. A green house owner in a neighboring town decided that the liability of having a natural swamp area in his back yard was two great a liability and filled it in today. It was only a couple of acres, but still a great loss.

Were there CPs in it?
sad.gif
wow.gif
It is very sad that a swamp has to be destroyed, even more so if there were CPs in it... Hopefully someone protests, or boycotts his greenhouse, then he'd learn a lesson...
wow.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif
(sorry if this sounds aggresive, that's just disturbing...)

Back