What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My plants arrived dead after two weeks of waiting

• Thread starter Wolfn
  • Start date
They are slow, for sure. I know he atleast has a dayjob and it pretty much happens everytime that my order status doesn't get updated until they get around to it, which is usually 1-5 days after I already got my plants. Thank god for PayPal's shipping notifications, LOL.

But no, seriously...they're good people and while it's hard, patience is required.

Something called the telephone is usually quicker and more reliable than email.

I was going to guess regular capensis. Looks awefully red to be Alba. Why didn't you just get on my SASE list for a free Alba instead of paying for one? If you don't get it replaced, let me know. I've got a couple extra stamps here and can send you one. The one's I've been sending out are about that same size. Sorry about the ping, I've seen my fair share of that same thing this week. :-(

Yeah, that's "typical not "alba".

How is it the nursery's fault shipping took 2 weeks?
sounds like the shippers fault..

also, mailing to Florida in August?
sounds like a big risk to take..
seems you should also be partially responsible there..for placing an order at a very risky time of year..
January and August are probably the two worst months to ship plants through the mail..
freezing or cooking is a high probability..

im just saying..I dont see how the nursery can be solely to blame..

Scot

Something called the telephone is usually quicker and more reliable than email.

I can't send pictures of the plants over a telephone

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

How is it the nursery's fault shipping took 2 weeks?
sounds like the shippers fault..

also, mailing to Florida in August?
seems you should also be partially responsible there..for placing an order at a very risky time of year..
January and August are probably the two worst months to ship plants through the mail..
freezing or cooking is a high probability..

im just saying..I dont see how the nursery can be solely to blame..

Scot

Last year, I ordered a Pinguicula in April and it arrived black and rotting (not brown). They refused to refund or send a replacement and I had to pay full price for a replacement.

That should have been a warning sign.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

Yeah, that's "typical not "alba".

Earlier this year, I ordered a Drosera Aliciae and they sent me this instead:
wrongsundew1.jpg

I can't send pictures of the plants over a telephone

Never heard of fax machines? And you can send pictures from cell phones. Or you can just talk to Kim and ask if they received your email. Emails get buried or spam filtered or sometimes don't make it through at all for a variety of reasons.

I should have updated this thread, but they sent me replacement plants a few weeks ago. A new Drosera Capensis Alba and a new Pinguicula Caerulea. Both were healthy and green.

Yay! There's the peeps that I know and adore! :-D
Congrats! :boogie:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that handwriting. I have dealt with these folks many times, and I have never been disappointed yet.

I am glad they made right.

Oh no! That is horrible.

...also, mailing to Florida in August?
freezing or cooking is a high probability...

Ah yes, this year I tried to finish all my trades before August(last one was in early August, receiver says plants got there awesomely despite high heat indexes in both Texas and Florida. :-D ) since the "feels-like" temperate reaches into the 100s, and I'm pretty sure the packing peanuts, ziplock, and humidity in the baggy heat up everything so it's very risky to trade during August.
I'm never buying from there nonetheless.

I'm never buying from there nonetheless.

Honestly... the only time I've had a problem with them(think i did 6 orders now) was during dormancy. I only ordered Sarrs, and one Filiformis. Ordering a pygmy soon. Reluctant to order a Ping from there, though.

I've got another problem with this nursery. On December 27, 2010, I ordered a couple plants totaling $21.23. The plants arrived a few days later in good condition and everything was fine. However, I'm doing online banking right now and the nursery charged me twice for the same order. It says I paid $21.23 on December 27 and $21.23 again on January 3, 2011.

I already contacted my bank and sent a complaint/dispute about being charged twice for the same order.

Huh...that's happened a couple times to me (not from a nursery, but like, schoolbooks)...something about they take the money out of the account as pending and then after seeing that the money is there, they put the money through, while the pending transaction was just yet to be canceled out since that's automatic and goes away after a few days. Is that what happened or were they definitely...completed or whatever the word is?
Oh well. Stuff like that is why I stick to PayPal.

Gosh. I'm glad I haven't experienced any of these shipping horror stories yet! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Huh...that's happened a couple times to me (not from a nursery, but like, schoolbooks)...something about they take the money out of the account as pending and then after seeing that the money is there, they put the money through, while the pending transaction was just yet to be canceled out since that's automatic and goes away after a few days. Is that what happened or were they definitely...completed or whatever the word is?
Oh well. Stuff like that is why I stick to PayPal.

On 12/26, my balance was $1341.84 (yes, it's high. I'm bringing it down). On 12/27, my plants were paid for ($21.23) and my new balance was $1,363.07. A few days later, I paid off $957.60, so my balance was then $462.20 (I made small purchases totaling $56.73 in between). So my balance was $462.20. On January 3rd, I was billed again for my plants, and my total now is $483.43.

That means I paid $42.46, which is double what I originally purchased. Further, the two dates of purchase are about a week apart. It's as if they kept my credit card number and paid twice with it a week apart.

I've already contacted my bank to dispute the purchase. In addition, I'm worried about how many times this might have happened before. I used to be a little careless with my spending credit card. I would buy things off the internet multiple times a week (which is why my credit balance is so high). I would get the statement once a month, I would briefly look for any odd purchases that couldn't have come from me, and that would be that. Now I'm worried they could have been doing this since I've been buying from them, which was 2008.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I'm a little nervous about who deals with my credit numbers now.

Ohhh, yikes. Yeah, that's really not good.
I suppose it could be a mistake? Things might be a little hectic with the holidays and cause they're dealing with me too (and I can never be easy on them *cough* >.>) But uhm...you can definitely look into PayPal, maybe..that is why they exist- so vendors can't have your credit card number.

Ohhh, yikes. Yeah, that's really not good.
I suppose it could be a mistake? Things might be a little hectic with the holidays and cause they're dealing with me too (and I can never be easy on them *cough* >.>) But uhm...you can definitely look into PayPal, maybe..that is why they exist- so vendors can't have your credit card number.

I think the holidays might have something to do with it, but I would also think that the system would be a little more automated than that. It could have been a computer error or such; but regardless I would call them before jumping to conclusions. And, a little off topic but your credit card company probably has an online account system and keeping up with that online once a week or so would help you monitor your account for similar things, but it sounds like this isn't much of a problem anymore.

xvart.

I think the holidays might have something to do with it, but I would also think that the system would be a little more automated than that. It could have been a computer error or such; but regardless I would call them before jumping to conclusions. And, a little off topic but your credit card company probably has an online account system and keeping up with that online once a week or so would help you monitor your account for similar things, but it sounds like this isn't much of a problem anymore.

xvart.

I just started online banking about a week ago.

Update on the situation: the second payment to the nursery has been canceled and everything is back to normal.

But yeah, it probably was just a mix up because of the holiday season.

.... but it sounds like this isn't much of a problem anymore.
Why is this? The sooner you get things resolved, the easier it is. While I don't use them, debit cards are especially important to monitor. They do not have the same protections that credit cards do (contrary to what the banks attempt to have us believe). The timelines for reporting are shorter and they readily will allow you to eat fraudulent charges if you report too late.

Back