What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My lone, unidentified nepenthes..

mato

BANNED
Hello everyone,

Here it is, my only unidentified nep! Went to check on a tiny pitcher formation today and realized there was a larger pitcher growing sideways, which is perhaps large enough for this baby to finally be identified (even if only roughly for the time being). What do you think?

IMG_20111220_135432.jpg

IMG_20111220_135342.jpg

IMG_20111220_135258.jpg

The pics were taken with my phone, so sorry about the substandard quality.

Looks like N.Red leopard to me.

Any other information on it's background?

The pitchers are kinda too young to really tell... I mean it's not mirabilis 'green' x chaniana cuz it's got spots but that's about as far as I can go :lol:

Yeah, I picked it up at Saturday Market in 2010 from the guys at S NW. This was clearly before I had any serious interest in carnivorous plants, considering I threw out the tag. Most of the pitchers now seem to be growing out of a basal that has shot up in the last couple of months. I believe this has something to do with the original growth point being bombarded with heat during its first summer with me.

To me it looks like it has some ventricosa in it, but that doesn't say much..

chances also likely that it is a Poi Dog nepenthes....in which case you'd be out of luck, because even the propagator doesnt even know of their origin.

Many of the SNW plants sold at Saturday market are Poi Dogs; hybrids of unknown parentage. However, many of those are often truncata hybrids or maxima hybrids. Aside from that, I agree that its far too early to tell much about this plant's breeding background.

Not sure about it being a poi dog. I remember it being labeled as a nepenthes of some kind, and not simply "Poi Dog" as their tags tend to state. Nonetheless, they do love their poi dogs, and it could definitely be possible..

I will go out on a limb and say it looks alot like N. sibuyanensis x talangensis

but don't hold me to it and by all means don't label it that other than maybe with alot of ???????? after it. Odds are you may never know for certain and even if you could narrow it down considerably it's difficult in many of these cases to be sure enough to actually relabel a plant.

Edit:
When it gets larger, your best course of action would be to send the nursery a photo and tell them when and where you picked it up and if they might be able to help ID it. They might be able to look in their records of plants they were selling during that time frame.

Looks like my sang.. the peristome is a bit bumpier, but that sometimes happens. Just my $.02 (which is like your fifty bucks!)

Edit: nah, nevermind, it really doesn't, if you look at the first pic.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll give this little guy another year or so before I question the nursery about it.

So I ended up lopping off the main growth point to make way for the two basals overtaking it, and this pitcher just formed from one of them.

IMG_4795.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

Looks different than the last one I posted a few months ago, as I'm seeing more talangensis than I did before. Any clue, guys?

Judging by the leaves, the peristome, shape of pitcher and the molting, I cast my vote for N. sibuyanensis x talangensis. (I thought this before I saw tony's post).

From CP Photofinder:

Nsibxtalen2-2-08.jpg

I'm thinking the same thing, Carn, but I guess I'll have to wait until I get the characteristic toothy rise near the lid to be sure (well, more so, anyway).

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

oook, well, I just received a response from Jacob Farin, who said they have never stocked N. sibuyanensis x talangensis (at least not knowingly), and the first plant that came to mind when he saw it was ventricosa x talangensis. Considering the lack of raised teeth towards the lid, this makes sense.

Back