What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Heliamphora Pic. Thread!

Since I just made some major changes to my growing tactics and conditions, I thought I should start a thread. Originally, my Heliamphora was all kept with the rest of my Highland Neps as well as all of my other indoor CPs, which is still how I have them, but it is now more that all my other plants are kept with my Helis. I am now gearing my setup to be optimized more for the Helis than for anything else. I have also majorly cut my growlist over the past little while, to make room for more Helis, and a few other very rare CPs.

Before:
photo3.jpg

Conditions:
Daytime Temps- 78-80F
Nighttime Temps- 65-70F
Humidity- 60-65%

20 Gallon Long Terrarium, with occasional misting with spray bottle
4ft shoplight- 2 32W soft white T8 bulbs

After:
e8a48643.jpg

f24ba17f.jpg

d5f7661e.jpg

39bdf8ad.jpg

1dee6702.jpg

Conditions:
Daytime Temps- 70-72F
Nighttime Temps- 60-65F
Humidity 85-90% with lots of ventilation and air circulation! Two cooling fans are used, one pointing in and one pointing out. Humidifier output is right next to the fan that points in, so that the cool, humid air is blown into the terrarium, and circulated a bit before being sucked out by the second fan.

Exo-Terra Terrarium
Exo Terra Compact Fluorescent Hood- 18" 2 26W 2.0UVB bulbs (Exo-Terra)
4ft Shoplight- 2 32W soft white T8 bulbs
Reptifogger-soon to be replaced with a better humidifier that has a larger water tank
2 Cooling fans- just plain computer fans wired onto separate transformers

Here's a short video that sort of pans through the terrarium and shows the cooling system: (you have to click on the picture to go to it)

show off.. :clap:

Beautiful setup Ann:).

show off.. :clap:

Well what else am I supposed to do? Sit around and hide my pride and joy (my Helis) from the rest of the world??? ;)

Besides, if you compare my Heli collection to say Butch's collection, mines nothing! His is the best in the world! (IMO)

Beautiful setup Ann:).

Thank you! I was going for a nice display with good functionality. Seems to have worked pretty good :)

Besides, if you compare my Heli collection to say Butch's collection, mines nothing! His is the best in the world! (IMO)

OMG Hush woman :blush: :p

You've come a long ways Anne, very nice setup lil one.... :hail:
careful about letting condensation form on the pitchers, adjust your plant placement/air flow/mist levels to prevent that

Helis dont like that over the long term ;)

I think mass is the pot calling the kettle black hehehehehehe :jester:

Last edited:
Butch's collection :hail:

Ann's collection :hail:

Great job!! Those helis look divine :love: and your neps look great too!

How are you keeping the temps low? If I could solve that issue I'd be growing them and tuberous sundews.

How are you keeping the temps low? If I could solve that issue I'd be growing them and tuberous sundews.

I just run 2 cooling fans all the time the lights are on, as well as a humidifier, which seems to do the trick. The ambient room temp is usually about 76F.

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 AM ----------

You've come a long ways Anne, very nice setup lil one.... :hail:
careful about letting condensation form on the pitchers, adjust your plant placement/air flow/mist levels to prevent that

Helis dont like that over the long term ;)

Thank you! I actually don't get hardly any condensation, but I had just gone through and misted everything with a spray bottle to refill the pitchers and make it look even more "tropical" so that's why there is a bit of condensation on the plants. Thank you again for all of your help! :hail:

Very nice setup! Your plants look amazing!

Thank you all for your nice comments! All of the Helis, except for the Heterodoxa and the Nutans, were recently added, so we'll see how they do

The Heterodoxa and Nutans don't look so nice right now, but since moving them into this setup, they have definitely improved. The Heterodoxa was actually pretty much dead before I put it in here, and now there is a nice new pitcher getting ready to open up.

Thanks again for all of your nice comments!

Last edited:
Your welcome,

It's always fun helping someone who is passionate about the hobby, willing to do their homework and able to demonstrate the skills needed to keep their helis happy.
:hail:

Av

Last edited:
I think mass is the pot calling the kettle black hehehehehehe :jester:

pssh.. yeah right papa. How often do I floss my helis? I've got a long ways to go before I'll be caught up to Anna and can show my stuff off too.

Way to go Ann A! Looking awesome! I'm falling in love with Helis here lately too!! Butch got me hooked!

Last edited:
pssh.. yeah right papa. How often do I floss my helis? I've got a long ways to go before I'll be caught up to Anna and can show my stuff off too.

pappa?.... omg calling Montel for a DNA test immediately

hehehehe, youngin when i was your age we had to walk up the tepui with it knee deep in snow, both ways mind ya... harvesting heli seed using only our eyelids cause our hands would be busy fighting off giant tepuian alligators

you kids today, meh.... with all your electricity and horseless carriages... try growing helis with an oil lamp :p

Ha ha ha ha that is hilarious!

Way to go Ann A! Looking awesome! I'm falling in love with Helis here lately too!! Butch got me hooked!

Me too! Now what do I gotta do, build a greenhouse? ???

you kids today, meh.... with all your electricity and horseless carriages... try growing helis with an oil lamp :p

ROFL!!! What's scary is, I'm starting to do that towards kids in their teens: "I remember when I had to play video games on a black and white TV with a controller that had only ONE button!" That's an Atari system for you youngins.

btw, Ann, at least one of the the Palacea is starting to green up... were they in dormancy when you shipped? Anyway, seeing what replaced that, good choice!

pappa?.... Omg calling montel for a dna test immediately

hehehehe, youngin when i was your age we had to walk up the tepui with it knee deep in snow, both ways mind ya... Harvesting heli seed using only our eyelids cause our hands would be busy fighting off giant tepuian alligators

you kids today, meh.... With all your electricity and horseless carriages... Try growing helis with an oil lamp :p

omg :-))

ROFLMAO, gramps!!

Haha...yea that Butch guy :rolleyes: ...he tends to do that to people...get everybody hooked on the most expensive plants out there, and the ones that are usually the hardest to find available (generally speaking, of course)

Although, now that I've got these, I don't mind at all! I LOOVVVEEEEEEEEE Helis!!!! :boogie:

Me too! Now what do I gotta do, build a greenhouse? ???

Haha...thats one option. Wish I could get one, but if I did that, I think my parents would decapitate me...or just burn it down, with me in it...one or the other

ROFL!!! What's scary is, I'm starting to do that towards kids in their teens: "I remember when I had to play video games on a black and white TV with a controller that had only ONE button!" That's an Atari system for you youngins.

btw, Ann, at least one of the the Palacea is starting to green up... were they in dormancy when you shipped? Anyway, seeing what replaced that, good choice!

Glad to hear it! I think they were about in dormancy, now that I think about it, so they probably went dormant during/ right after shipping... and yep, I'm pretty happy with the replacements!

Ok, just a general update... everything is still doing great! I am going to be moving all plants out of there, except for the Helis, Cephs, N. Hamata, and Brocchinia Reducta. So basically N. Talangensis, N. Glabrata, D. Adelae, and the D. Spatulata seeds that I have started are all going to move on out. Glabrata is claimed, but Talangensis is not...going to be listing a giveaway soon...and NO claiming here, you have to wait! (just fair to give more people a better chance of getting to it first- not that I care who gets it, as long as they take good care of it)...anyways, I am going to be giving the D. Adelae and D. Spatulata seeds to my neighbor who loves my plants, and has a few of my old Neps, which have been doing pretty well for her. I will be keeping a few of the seeds, and one plantlet of the Adelae.

I'll post pics of the setup when I get home...changed just a few minor things ;)

you've got some very nice plants there Ann! diving head first into the challenging plants and you're doing great! looking forward to seeing your progress.

Back