What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Micro Elements only for Nepenthes are OK?

microlements.jpg

Hello to all!
Boys...tomorrow 19 will be my birthday and I want also to make something nice for my Nepenthes that lies into my terrarium!
CAN I water on tghe leafes and in substrate some micro elements diluited in osmotic water?
Just to be clear, I am NOT talking about giving Osmocote or a liquid fertilizer. I am just talking to give into soil and spray on the leafes some micro lements!
Please do you have some tips to give me and in particular already some experiences?
And at last :Does LIVE Sphagnum tollerate micro elements?
Thanks...on the picture at top is the composition of what I want to use.It written in Italian but it is not difficult to understand for those ones compatible with this argue!
smile.gif

The doses are the following : 1 gr of powder diluited in 1 lt of water.What do you think?
Thanks to all!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I think Zinc is bad for nepenthes.

Ehmm..thanks guys for the answers...but I should know it for sure. " I think" is not exactly an answer. ;)
Someone can has already sperimented micro elements with Nepenthes?

Thanks

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

I dunno if those levels are harmful. I don't think they need that supplement.

Sorry my answer wasn't good enough.

The fact is :
we can give fertilizer to nepenthes like pellet of osmocote and plants reacts very nicely! Also because Osmocote contains also NPK + microelements!
So...in my opinion...without NPK but only microelements Nepenthes soil should not be damaged.
Let's see if some PETFLYTRAP expert will give me some Help!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

You can use micro and macro if you want. I'd be careful of the zinc though. Maybe those small levels matter, maybe not. Someone else should chime in.

Oh yeah, Sphagnum moss doesn't like any minerals at all IME, but if you flush every now and then it shouldn't affect the moss.

Copper is definitely toxic to CPs. If its not toxic at that level, it sure isn't going to help, and will more than likely harm the plant. This is as clear of an answer as you're going to get in that regard.

If you have something common and dont mind losing that you want to try it on, hey, I'm not stopping you, but its not a good idea

Zinc is quite poisonous to Nepenthes. Don't give them stuff with zinc!

I don't have an answer to the question, but would say to experiment on something that you have an extra of.  I don;t know if zinc is or is not poisonous to nepenthes or not, but there are many things that are not poisonous at low doses and are needed, but when you give them at higher does they can be fatal. Potasium comes to mind for humans. Right along with water. They both are needed, but you give either at high doses they can be fatal. Of course water has a much higher fatal dose than potasium does.  Then again there are some things that are fatal at even the low doses.  So you will not know until you try unless there are papers or personal experience to determine.

So,
thanks boys....today at least I know something more.Copper and Zinc has better not to be in the soil.
I think that of course if I would just spray the whole microelements on the leafes only, instead of into the soil I would have the same results,but less concrentrated,I am right?
The Nepenthes are not able to skip/ignore absorbing from leafes what they don't like,that would be pure fantasy.

In conclusion for all what has been written here untill now : by making positive / negative aspetcts what would win the game at first place?

- Osmocote pellets
- Orchids fertilizer diluided at half portion in water
- Just pure micro elements in powder diluited in water ( 1 gr every 1 lt )

Make your vote and decision about your experiences! So I am trying to focus all that things!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Orchid ferts

Osmocote by far. Time release is very important.

Remember, micronutrients are MICRO nutrients because they're only required in small amount. As previously mentioned, larger amounts can be lethal to certain plants. Just something to keep in mind.

So EST,
if I use them,even there is a very little % of Copper and Zinc I can be sue that there will no disavantages.Right?
Maybe I will try first to use it a couple of times every 15 days only for leafes.
Thanks,

Mr_Aga
Milan - Italy

Zinc is poisonous to Nepenthes-- not harmful in large doses or just through the roots. It's straight up toxic. I've never heard of zinc being beneficial to neps.

MrAga...do not use them, straight up. About 5 different people including myself (multiple times) have told you how zinc and copper are toxic, and you keep trying to rationalize using micronutrients by just spraying, or just giving a small dose, or doing this, or doing that. What else do you need to once and for all prove to you that using that product will be toxic?

Ok,phissionkorps,
I will not even spray micronutrients on leafes.
I went to see Osmocote nutrients and I discovered that microelements are Copper ( 0.05 % ) and Zinc ( 0,015 ).
So...comparing what I would like to give to the plants I realized that ZINC is too high! ( 0,1 instead of 0,015 % ) and also ( 0,05 instead 0,5 % ).
So..ok..I will not use powder for my plants.I will search for liquid fertilizer or osmocote instead!
Thank you to all.Finally we reached an answer!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Back