What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macro of the month

I don't think the growing the plant for x number of months is all that important, since we're not competing on how the plant looks. But on how the macro photography looks. This is more of a photo contest than a plant/pitcher contest.

Like photo has to be taken this month
Why is this important with this contest? Don't we want to ultimately see the best pics? :scratch:

...open and closing times of the contest, etc.
Agree - so everyone knows when the start / stop is ...

It helps promote more picture taking, rather than people hunting through their photobuckets for their best photos.
Personally - I'd rather see the best pics ... so what if they came from an earlier month?**

** - possibly subject to changing my mind if Larry swoops in each month using fantastic pics we've already seen. Maybe the pics should be previously unpublished on Terra? ((thinking out loud here))

nice ideas ill make something up later and make this official

I was trying out my new Camera , Fuji HS20
flower.jpg

entry needs to be carnivorous tim. but thanks for playing!

oops sorry about that

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

How about this.
hamata1.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

I meant this Opps

hamata1.jpg

Nice shots everyone, the rules have been adjusted slightly. All shots this month are grandfathered in so all are acceptable. The last day of the month i will post a link mass was so kind to share for the voting process. On the 4th of the month the winners will be chosen.

not sure if this will be Legal for say in terms of the site but are we allowed to say gamble......if everyone would be willing to say put a plant up with their photo.....then say winners get the plants?? jsut an idea let me know what everyone thinks and keep up the good shots.

Only problem I can see with that is people in other countries would be excluded, and I also wouldn't want to post photos of most of my plants as I usually only have 1 or 2 of each.

@rball: dont think that's a good idea...what if the plants are photographed in the wild. or a lot of people enter? that would mean a lot of plants... plus i dont think anybody would want to give away ANY of their prized specimens....

what happens if a macro shot of a D. capensis takes the cake, and a N. macrophylla was an entry? someone's gonna be effin pissed. O_O

what would probably be better is if some generous soul offered to put up a plant for the 1st prize, another for a 2nd, and yet another for a 3rd....(just to clarify, the generous soul does not have to offer all 3 prizes, ideally multiple people would donate for the contest)

it was just an idea, the plant photographed wouldnt have to be the one for trade could be seeds a cutting or something but donateing is a good idea.

Having a prize for the winner is probably a good idea but requiring anyone who wants to submit a pic to also donate a plant - not so much ... :thumbdown:

In Matt's photo contest on another forum, he even coordinates prize donations from different countries so people who live in Europe or Canada can also win something. His contest runs 3-4 times per year - not monthly. I suspect a monthly contest with prizes would be tough to keep going.

You could also hold a monthly contest where the winners are entered into a quarterly (or semi-annual or annual) run-off contest for prizes... (thinking out loud).

Somewhere in here, a rough definition of 'macro' is probably going to be needed...

The classic definition of macrophotography is that the magnification is from 1x to 25x and the distance from the film plane to object is under 1 meter. 1x means the image falling on the film or image sensor is the same size as the object. Thus an object 1 cm in diameter would have an image 1 cm in diameter on the sensor/film plane. Greater than 25x is considered microphotography and less than 1x is close-up photography.

It should just be for fun or pick the best out of the past 12 best of the month for inclusion in the calendar.

wire man only one plant/pic per entering

Oh, sorry. Fixed it.

no problem .....nice shot!

Thanks! Just got a new camera a little while ago. The macro lens was good enough with the cheap body, but now that I have a top-of-the-line model, the pictures speak for themselves!

do you mind entering the name of camera and everything the photo was taken with

Back