What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowe's rescue - too late?

I grabbed these from Lowe's today. I'm pretty sure they're Pinguicula primuliflora.

The largest one may have a chance; the medium-sized one has stubs for roots and will probably die.

The tiny cluster was a "bonus" in the package.

I haven't grown butterworts yet, but I followed what the Savage Garden had to say about soil, watering, etc.

Is there anything specific I can do to try to revive these pings?

Thanks

They are indeed primuliflora.

I rescued one of those too (actually two penny sized ones) and one of them is just hanging on to life. The other one is doing pretty good.

Make sure that you acclimate them to your own humidity properly. I placed mine in my Nepenthes terrarium with high humidity and it seems to be doing fine (growing new leaves, etc).

To bring them back I would place them in relatively high humidity (not too much, they'll rot) for several weeks until they start to show signs of new growth. You can then proceed to acclimate.

-matt

Yup, too late.

I was just in a Home Depot yesterday and there was a tray and a half of totally dessicated Gubler's Carnivorous Plants. The only one I could identify was a Sarracenia psittacina that used to have good color. Another was an unknown Sarracenia hybrid, probably 'Judith Hindle' (that's what Gubler's usually sells). Everything else was probably sundews or Pinguicula but was now just dried long fiber sphagnum.

I left in disgust and didn't buy the light bulb and soldering gun a came to buy in the first place.

Next time you do a rescue of a poor looking plant at Lowe's make sure to get a discount. All those cubed plants look terrible. Just tell them that nobody will buy those plants and they'll sell them to you for a cheap price (or give them away).

xvart.

Yes, yellowdart has the right idea.

I've bought near dead cps from Lowes several times. You should give them good light under some florescents and high humidity.

I'm pretty sure your "tiny cluster" at the top of the pic will survive. Sometimes even death cube Darlingtonia can bounce back.

I followed your suggestions - so far I think we're 2 for 3.

The medium sized one that had 1mm stubs for roots turned completely brown overnight. I think that one's toast, but with no roots it was a lost cause to begin with.

The large one has tiny new leaves growing in the center of it (I needed a magnifying glass to be sure, they may have already been there), so I think this one will survive.

The tiny cluster has already visibly grown a bit and looks healthy.

Thanks guys

No problem. I'm glad my "diagnosis" is starting to work for you.
Good luck!
-Matt

Sadly, my Ping from Lowes is looking about the same. :(

At least with prims, you have a chance if there are any plant buds at the end of the leaves. :)

I also bought a few in the "death cubes" about a month ago.I potted one up after a slow hardening period and the leaves still died back.It has been out in my coldframe outside and is coming along fine.It is even sending up a flower so things are looking good so far.The other one is still down in the basement with my Mexican pings and I will repot it and put it outside soon also.
Mark

How are your plants doing Valydius? Did you bring them back?

any chance of my shrivled Ping Prim recovering?

it's kinda looks like a dead clump of grass...do these die back and regrow, or is it a gonner?

Back