What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowe's Nep and Ping (dial-up warning)

bpullin

I drink to make others more interesting.
Hi,

Sorry about the quanity and quality of the photos.

In a moment of weakness I broke down and bought a Nep and Ping from Lowes today. I broke out the ol' camera and took some pictures. I think the Nep is ventricosa but not sure. Also, is the ping a prim? The ping had a bunch of plantlets starting along some of the leaves. Couldn't resist the mini jackpot.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. This is my first Nep ever and my first ping in 30 yrs (Yikes!). I have a front porch which faces north. It gets some direct sun in the morning and in the very late afternoon. Would that be okay for them? When I repot them, is the typical peat/perlite mix okay? or LFS? Keep moist but not in standing water? ???

I appreciate any suggestions. I have VFTs and Sarrs which do very well, but I think I may need a little hand-holding and maybe some backside-kicking to successfully branch out into new species.

The Nepenthes photos:

Nep4.jpg

Nep3.jpg

Nep2.jpg

The Butterwort photos:

Ping1.jpg

Ping2.jpg

The ping is P. primuliflora and the Nep is either an alata or a ventrata, more likely the latter.

Hi,

Thank you for the assist.

bp

nep is ventrata. dunno on the ping

The ping is definately a primuliflora ;)

Thanks for the help everyone. Wish me luck as I venture into unknown territory (at least for me).

Thanks for the help everyone. Wish me luck as I venture into unknown territory (at least for me).

Good luck :grin: The nepenthes ventrata isn't really that hard to take care off (its really quite foolproof). It was my first CP and the only thing I had to do was put it in a spot with the least direct sunlight but still very light and wait untill it settled down in my climate + the occasional watering. I didnt really have to worry about humidity or anything else, after it settled down (and recovered it's root system I guess, had to repot it) it started making pitchers :)

~C'

Back