What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowes death cube makeover

Been to Lowes lately? Their distrubutor seems to have finally figured that their cubes did more harm than good. The newer design is far from ideal, but at least an improvement. The plant I just got is a sarr hybrid of some sort and it actually in a plastic pot within the cube. The lid opens up which makes acclimating the plant much easier. I just started with this one a few days ago, but the plant is doing fine and I just have to prop the lid up a little bit at a time.

They still keep them buried inside the indoor section, but at least it is a start.

:pics:

ive also seen this :D yay!! the lid does do wonders for acclimitizing a few plants i got. and they are taller too. ive only seen this on the big cubes though... is it on the smaller ones?
xvart:same people. Botanical Wonders

Alex

wow...it would be great if you can post some pics. :) I got one lowes cube one time....do they offer any new CP's as well, apart from typical VFT's, ventrata, D.aldae and the common ones?

I just bought a small cube with a VFT, just because I no longer have a VFT in the collection. Anyways, it doesn't look any different than it had... so far.

I think Bug Biting Plants was the original manufacturer. Man, how long did it take them to figure out that their mini terrariums were crap?

Back in the 60's-70's-80's they used to sell VFTs in a plastic box shaped like a greenhouse. The bottom third - 1/4 was white plastic and the top two-thirds - 3/4 was clear plastic made to look like a typical glass greenhouse - vents included.

any pictures of the "evolution" of the lowes death cube? :p It would be great to see for us non -US residents. :D

I couldn't find their website. Weird. I wonder if the new cube will increase prices.

Geez, I get the hint-you guys want pics! Patience, patience.

It only seems to be the large cubes, and the stores that I've seen tend to be all VFTs in them. I grabbed the sarracenia that you all will help ID once I get the pics but so far the stores haven't gotten much of a selection in. Hopefully they're all like that. Air holes would be nice, but that would be a miracle beyond all hopes.

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

comes in a pot like this...only my live sphagnum :D thats the actual plant i got (minus a few leaves and a root system)
IMG_1088.jpg

Alex

LOL. "Lift lid. Place bug inside." Well, expect some roasted plants since the company seems to be further promoting growing these plants solely in the plastic cube.

xvart.

They're very non-comittal about what they sell! Everything is, "Sarracenia species" or "Drosera species" or....

Any idea what species that Nepenthes is?

Probably N. ventricosa unless they added some new species to their repertoire of plants while doing a makeover of the packaging.

xvart.

'Judith Finn' !!! im happy i found it!! it was the last one too.
Alex

On a similar note: I just bought a Lowes Darlingtonia - we'll see if it lives. Maybe I should post some pics...

Then you can sell the boxes at the auction as special acclimation chambers. Put SUPER RARE! in the title, so people will look. At least that's what they do on Ebay. :poke:

Back