What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look who chose to "stick" around

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Woke this morning to pouring rain and this guy hanging around on the outside of the kitchen window. That was three and a half hours ago. The rain has stopped but he's still there.

expman.pl

Farout! If you can get some closer pics maybe I can ID it for you - I've got a book of native US stick & leaf insects. I don't see any wings in the pic so maybe it's a female since they should be getting mature this time of year.

I haven't seen one outdoors here in like 30 years - I was a very little kid the first & only time I found one out in the woods crossing the path. They don't like rain or being misted with water so he'll probably stay where he is til dark - if you blow on him like a small breeze you might get him to start moving, they will usually walk on your hands - put your hand down in front and blow from behind and usually up they go. If you wear a black T shirt they will like it and walk towards it/cling on it.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks exactly like the ones we have here chibae!

very cool, but at 47 im still skittish about things clinging on to my delicate flesh, LOL:spidersmile:

My vietnamese look exactly the same!

I have a native one here, it either has a pincher or a stinger. OUCH!

They are mostly gentle and calm with slow ponderous movements. A few do have defensive spines on their legs (which act like pincers in an "emergency") and defensive spray/odor to help ward off predators though not many have them, Anisomorpha from FL is one with a blinding mace like chemical spray. Those who do have defenses, don't tend to use them if they are captive raised/used to people.

Awg what will you feed them after Nov. or whenever all the leaves are gone?

Koolaid!

Back