What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Look what my mom brought me home from target!

They have the EXACT same sarr. at my target!

My target sucks.
sad.gif
they don't have cp's
mad.gif

They had a judith hindle and wrigleyana at my target. I got a judith hindle. (same set up) I put it in a jumbo ziplock bag to increase humidity.
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (droseradude @ Oct. 01 2003,02:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They had a judith hindle and wrigleyana at my target. I got a judith hindle. (same set up) I put it in a jumbo ziplock bag to increase humidity.
biggrin.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
D.D.
not sure if you were joking about the big ziplock bag or not!
confused.gif

but if you were serious, take it out of the bag!
you dont need it, and your plant will be happier without it..
inside the bag will result in fungus, less light, and possibly too much heat build up, if its in direct sunlight (where it should be..)
no bag!
biggrin.gif

Scot

Well, I wasn't kidding. So sarrs don't need much humidity? I keep them indoors. I keep my other sarr. in a covered plastic box with some other cps. They really do better with out a bag indoors?
confused.gif

I keep all my sarrs in partial shade outside without a cover and they do fine.

Rubra

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (droseradude @ Oct. 01 2003,6:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I wasn't kidding. So sarrs don't need much humidity? I keep them indoors. I keep my other sarr. in a covered plastic box with some other cps. They really do better with out a bag indoors?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
well..im one of those people who sees no reason to ever keep a sarr indoors at all!
wink.gif
IMO they should always be outdoors..do much better that way..better light, better climate, and catch their own food..

but in this case, we have no idea if this particular plant is ready for dormancy or not, and its getting too cold to keep it outdoors..(where do you live?)
so you might need to keep it indoors for now..

I would assume that mass-produced plants like these were probably grown outdoors, its more economical to grow hundreds or thousands of plants outdoors than indoors in a nursery situation..
so odds are these target plants have been grown outdoors in
"Half moon bay" california..

(we can call and ask! anyone here local to that area?)
Nurserymen's Exchange
Half Moon Bay
(650) 726-6361

I went to www.weather.com and entered their zip code (94019)
they are in the San Francisco area..their daytime highs are in the 60's this week, and nighttime lows around 50..so it looks like they have a cool autumn..

So! if I got one of these target plants (and im going to look for one&#33
wink.gif
I would assume it has been living outdoors in mid-California all this year, and so, is likely ready for dormancy..
I would put it outside with my other sarrs right now, and out it in the fridge with the others in early November..
to me, that seems less risky that leaving it indoors and growing all winter, and getting no dormancy until a whole year from now..these are obviously adult plants, IMO they should go dormant this winter..

getting back to the bag..I would say still remove it!
you dont need saturated air, it doesent need to be ultra-humid..I think the bag would be more harmfull that beneficial..

Scot

im trying to locate an email address for them, so I can ask how the plants have been grown..(for dormancy concerns)
no email found yet, but I did find this:

Nurserymen's Exchange, Inc.

Nurserymen's Exchange, Half Moon Bay, is one of the nation's largest potted plant producers in North America. We have over 60 years of continued success and growth. Production is varied from state of the art controlled environmental greenhouses to unheated hoop-houses and open field production. The crops produced are varied: potted miniature roses, orchids, hybrid lilies, ivy, bonsai, and miniature Christmas trees to name a few. We also design and market our own pottery and garden accessories. Our products are sold under the Bloom-Rite" trademark throughout the United States.

Nurserymen's Exchange is located in Half Moon Bay. The town of Half Moon Bay is located 30 minutes south of San Francisco on the Pacific Coast. It has a truly unique rural feel land adjoins a diversified metropolitan area. The greater Coastside is a small, but cosmopolitan community of 20,000 people. It is best know for its annual Pumpkin festival in October. Nurserymen's Exchange is very supportive of the coast side community and its non-profit agencies, including the "Boys and Girls Club of the Coastside", Cabrillo Unified School District, and the Senior Coastsiders.

wait! found them!
biggrin.gif

im going to send them an email right now..
http://www.bloomrite.com/

They had the S. x wrigleyanas at my Target in Lincoln, NE. I don't think they will rot, as they did a very smart thing. They have a good layer of course sand or fine gravel in the bottom of the vase.

Regards,

Joe

well I already got a reply from them!
biggrin.gif

they said:

"I am so happy to receive a compliment for our company from such a knowledgeable plant person.  It is a compliment worth getting!  The plants were greenhouse grown in a mild central- coast California town, Half Moon Bay.  They will need some extra planning for this winter's dormancy.
Deborah Durant
Customer Service"

hmmm..although they were very friendly, that actually doesent help a lot! just because they have been greenhouse grown..makes things trickier for us..
wink.gif
 as far as dormany *right now* is concerned..
IMO, its still early enough to put them outside and let them acclimate to autumn, and go dormant for the winter..
In my climate, (upstate NY) I would leave them outside for all of October, then put them in the fridge in November..
whatever you do normally for dormancy, I would include these Target plants in with the dormancy..keeping them growing all winter seems too risky to me.

Scot

i'm just wondering , how big are those plants .

the tallest chute on mine is about 9.5 inches

man! I've been through half moon bay 4 times! If i had only knew they were located there, I could have visited their nursery!
wow.gif
biggrin.gif

i knew that along time ago and i never brought any of there plants yet and you've brought tons of there cps and you never knew , lol alothugh i don't really find there collection impressive as shown in the gallery in there website .

I don't think they have a public showroom. I've bought a bunch of "bloom-rite" plants (non cps) in the past, and found them to be healthy, happy plants. Half-moon Bay is the spot of quite a bit of agriculture, so things obviously tend to grow well there. I know it's particularly humid there with cool air and a mix of fog and sun. I bet they can get perfect conditions inside their greenhouses.

Capslock

i went to my local target today and i was quite dissapointed of what i saw . i thought the plants were bigger and colorfuller , either that or i missed out on the big ones but it does'nt seem like that because there were tons of them at the bottom of a lightless shelf . it deffinatly was s. x wrigelayana and s. x judith hindle that were being sold. the plants i saw were horrible , the s. x wrigelyanas were kinda dieing , the s. judtih hindles were small , still hanging in there and did not have much coloration . even worse was that the planst were not in lfs as i thought , they were in green moss , i guess the company wanted a more decorative ugly moss to replace the more the beautiful lfs . some plants were water logged and some plants were really dry , some plants had fungus and some plants were already dead . your also correct too , the tag on a stick on the plants said cobra lily in big bold letters and said that there eating machines , said to fertilize once in a while but they would catch there own bugs , did'nt say what type of water to use and not very good unfo about light . i wish i could save them all but 15 bucks for a almost dead plant in a vase that smells horrible , no thanks . your lucky al885 , your plants were quite big and the plants i saw were about 5 inches . good luck growing it , you may want to get rid of the green moss rather then use it again when you repot it , green moss is quite deadly although the plant might survive as i did see some peat in there but just remeber not to water too much .

They might not have labeled the plant correctly but at least the company knows how to grow them. The 2 photos posted looks great!

I bought one of these beautiful plants from Target too, Now my first one has company. I am very sad to report that Target is letting them all die!!! I wish I could save them ALL.

Please disregard this post. This is a test to check to see if we can respond to a topic that has already been posted.

Back