What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

littlest Sarracenia ?

I am looking for witch off all Sarracenia is the smallest off them all in length I mean. It have to be a uppword pitcher with lid not the purpurea type. I hope you understand I need one that dosnt grow to high up :)

Thnx in advance!

Parrot Pitcher, Sarracenia psittacina, is is one of the smallest, if not the smallest (Googled it). It gets only 6 inches and can be vigorous it seems: http://pics.futuresystems.com/psittacina2.jpg

It has similar colors to Purpurea so I am not sure if it is the type you are looking for.

Last edited:
Yeah ok but I wonna have some sugestions with the regular looking sars with the typical "landing" lid :)

Well one, you won'd a species with those characteristics, you might have a lot more luck with hybrids. Two, I hope you don't them small in order to grow them indoors...

No im gonna grow them on a balcony and i need the to be not to big for that.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 AM ----------

Scottychaos perfect I will now look into this!

I agree, rubra ssp. rubra if you're looking for an upright pitcher. "Cobra nest" or "Red bug" if you're looking for an upright hybrid.

I think that rubra ssp. wherryi is significantly smaller than rubra ssp. rubra. My wherryi gets to about eight inches tops; rubra is more like 18.
You could also probably find some yearling plants that aren't full sized yet. Grow them while they're still juveniles, and then trade them for new baby plants when they start to get too big. You can grow any variety you want that way, and chances are you'll be able to get several young plants for each adult so it's a good way to build a collection.
~Joe

Nice catch, Clue; I didn't even remember how short minor tends to be. I've spent most of this season looking at my alata x minor, which is significantly bigger than your average purebred.
~Joe

S. minor = minor = small. :-))

You don't have to rub it in...
;P
~Joe

Oh nice many answears now hehe :p Thnx for al sugestions perfect for me and what I was looking for either it will be this S. minor 'Dark Ladies' or Sarracenia rubra ssp. wherryi 'Perdido'.

S. minor = minor = small. :-))

maybe so..
but names aside, S. rubra is still generally smaller than S. minor..
(personally, every S. rubra I have ever seen or owned is smaller than every S. minor I have ever seen or owned..)

Scot

S. 'Lady Bug' stays small, 4-6".

maybe so..
but names aside, S. rubra is still generally smaller than S. minor..
(personally, every S. rubra I have ever seen or owned is smaller than every S. minor I have ever seen or owned..)

Scot

Seconded.

S. rubra ssp. rubra is smaller than minor.

Back