What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thez_yo

instigator
My balcony.... yes, a good half of those bagged plants aren't staying with me more than a month (for someone else):
P12200016.jpg

D. adelae leaves (the two good looking ones)
P1220009.jpg

P1220010-1.jpg

D. prolifera doing bad... :-/ I hope it picks up cuz the D. adelae in the same pot is doing well...
P1220011-1.jpg

The cobra minibog:
P1200001-1.jpg

D. might be D. binata or (D. dichotoma) [Edit: There is no actual species D. dichotoma, it is just a type of D. binata. I placed it in parentheses to help indicate its invalidity.] waking up after a short (couple weeks?) dormancy...it branches twice as far as I saw last year:
P1220008-1.jpg

VFT Big Mouth in the same pot (in the cobra minibog)
P1220007.jpg

D. occidentalis Warriup Form
P1220012-1.jpg

Here's what's happened to my sewing table in the winter
P1220015.jpg

the second Phalaenopsis mannii flower to open up for me...it's in the orchid rack to the left of the sewing table:
P1220014.jpg

here's a better shot of that mutt Nepenthes from Sam's place
P12200017.jpg

a N. hamata that just opened up for me (no colors on stuff because the daylight hours are shorter in the winter...everything looks pretty bad in comparison to the summer :cry:)
P1220006-1.jpg

N. villosa that's like...45% open and just won't pop open all the way (I think I'm keeping it too dry?)
P1220005.jpg

my N. clipeata collection...the one on the left is clone 3 still recovering from heat-stress during shipping in the summer, middle one is unlabeled clone, right one is Clone U that's been growing for me at that same size for a year and a quarter now (very slow...)
P1220004.jpg

double ribbed Ceph recovering after shipping/repotting/acclimation
P1220003.jpg

squat doing the same...looks worse though:
P1220002.jpg

Well, that's all - hope you liked looking :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Zu! I love your plants so much!
:-D

Zu! I love your plants so much!
:-D

great stuff !

Thanks! :awesome:

Here's more (with moss too!) for Tali...

H. "Tequila" still working on a big huge pitcher with some nice sphagnum moss in the foreground:
P1220011-2.jpg

here's that N. izumiae x (x trusmadiensis) opened up better
P1220010-2.jpg

N. jacquelineae BE spreaaaading out its tendrils/pitchers
P1220009-1.jpg

N. mikei still working on a pitcher
P1220008-2.jpg

Heliamphora heterodoxa x nutans
P1220007-1.jpg

Heliamphora minor just opened up a BIG pitcher
P1220006-2.jpg

Pinguicuola ehlersiae growing in perlite:vermiculite with a layer of moss starting on top
P1220004-1.jpg

some nice moss growing on a sheet of cork I've got going in my Heli tanks should I ever need extra moss
P1220003-1.jpg

and VFT 'Pink Venus' in the cobras minibog in LFS with different moss growing on top
P1220001-1.jpg

:drool: so...very....nice!

nice stuff, that N. jacquelineae is looking good :)
That moss looks good too, i think it might look even better with less light and more humidity :D

Ahhh! I am jealous of your plants. :) They are all looking pretty good. I wish I could get a Venus fly trap to grow like that. :(

And you almost can't even walk on your balcony! :-)) :-)) :-))

Love the Helis!

Ahhh! I am jealous of your plants. :) They are all looking pretty good. I wish I could get a Venus fly trap to grow like that. :(

And you almost can't even walk on your balcony! :-)) :-)) :-))

Thanks! And what are you saying about almost... I gotta tiptoe like a balerina out there! :jester:

Love the Helis!

Thanks! Now that it's winter they're finally perking up and getting some good color :-D

All of your plants are gorgeous congrats!

How do you manage to grow a cobra in south CA? I thought they didn't like temperatures above 30C? Do you use ice-cubes or something? Or are they just more tolerant than people say? Sorry for the questions, but I was thinking about getting one for France, but temps go in the 30's in summer with the rare 40C every few years... any tips? I have one in England, but the hottest day on record here was 32C, so I don't really worry about over-heating!
(very jealous of the sun btw, great looking plants too!:drool:)

How do you manage to grow a cobra in south CA? I thought they didn't like temperatures above 30C? Do you use ice-cubes or something? Or are they just more tolerant than people say? Sorry for the questions, but I was thinking about getting one for France, but temps go in the 30's in summer with the rare 40C every few years... any tips? I have one in England, but the hottest day on record here was 32C, so I don't really worry about over-heating!
(very jealous of the sun btw, great looking plants too!:drool:)

It's an experiment - I keep it in lots of sphag, sitting in water at all times. It was outside for two days that hit 100F, so hopefully it didn't stress to death. The Heliamphora sit outside too, but I brought them inside where it's air conditioned when it was anywhere over 80F, but they're sitting in water too (it's dry enough here that they get lots of evaporative cooling too I think..).

Thanks :grin: I'm super lucky that I get to live here and can grow everything outside for sure.

*takes notes avidly*
100F sounds positive! But yes, very lucky indeed! I suppose you are just dead centre of every growing condition needed... very lucky! Moving somewhere warmish year round is very high on my agenda. Can't stand winter! Maybe then I too will be able to grow most things outside... :water:

I was thinking about doing that here if I ever try to grow thing outside, I also had the idea to keep them in a white pot to reflect light so the pot doesn't get cooked.

EDIT: upon further review I see you've done that.

Back