What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's about time bluemax posted some photos!

Are you keeping them all in the same area? I'm looking at your D. Schizandra and she seems to be loving life.

The last batch of photos were all from the same grow area. I have several so not all of my plants are in the same place. Strangely, I have another schizandra out in my garage space facing temps in the high 30's F. this week and it's doing o.k. as well, tho' it's not exactly thriving. When it warms up some it will likely take off again.

A few more...

OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg

Drosera alba - hopefully on it's way to upright leaves.

2021-02-14-161716.jpg

2021-02-14-162659.jpg

The two round structures are flower buds, if I'm not mistaken.

2021-02-14-153441.jpg

If you look carefully you can see the tiny stalked glands on the backs of the leaves. For catching gnats, maybe?

Pinquicula heterophylla.

Last edited:
:0o: :drool:

Nice growing and pics Mark!

An update and a few more.

'Flower's gonna be either dark pink or purple.

D. squamosa

P. reticulata.

D. macrophylla

Oh my gosh your reticulata - shut the front door!!! I've had a kondoi for a few years now and I have not been able to find its happy place. Certainly no blooms, but the growth is nothing like your specimen! Is this on your garage windowsill?

Tuberous sundews and the South-African winter growers...two groups I cannot yet get the conditions right for. That will probably be the first D. alba flower photo I get to see.

I understand - I can't grow Heliamphora, myself. Once you get one of those 2 sundew groups to grow you can do the other, too.

I hadn't seen a photo of the flower either until I found this one tonight on the Photofinder: http://i345.photobucket.com/albums/p367/mrAlmond/d_alba_flower1_140209.jpg

I will post a photo if I can manage to get this one to produce open flowers. I'd really like to produce seeds.

A few later winter additions -

Drosera ramellosa.

D. menziesii.

Nepenthes splendiana x red ventricosa.

Broader photo of D. squamosa.

Tighter shot of P. reticulata flowers.

Nice shots!

Your Drosera alba looks amazing!

Your Drosera alba looks amazing!
Thanks! It has been going through some tough times these last 2 weeks, unfortunately. We will see if it actually manages to bloom. It had the tips of most of the forming leaves turn brown but is now producing more.

Return of the Sundews of Winter

I was going to wait until I had more photos but it is fun to see things develop in the moment. If you like these you might want to keep an eye out for more.

PB090290.jpg
Drosera rupicola - these plants arrived in a sterile tc cup last winter. So far, so good.

PB140321.jpg
D. macrophylla - I like the look of tuberous sundews as they sprout out for the season.

PB140310.jpg

D. squamosa - you can barely see two sprouts from other tubers in this shot.

Last edited:
So cool, I love these! I only have one sp. or tuberous Drosera... A very basic one that stays in my Sarracenia tray and goes dormant and wakes as needed each year.

So cool, I love these! I only have one sp. or tuberous Drosera... A very basic one that stays in my Sarracenia tray and goes dormant and wakes as needed each year.
Thanks, Andrew! Your "basic" tuberous sundew sounds cool. One of the peltata group?

Sorry, I couldn't remember when I replied! lol
It's D. hookeri, I've given away some seeds from them here before.
Looks like 2 have already started to wake up. 20211116_132014.jpg

I think I have a rupicola from the same source (as mine didn't decide to grow right and want dormant way late, only one looks to have lived and is trying to come back up...hopefully it survives because I have a different form coming in I want to cross it with), and really need more tuberous...space is limited though, need a bunch of Sarracenia seed pots to move elsewhere first.

Sorry, I couldn't remember when I replied! lol
It's D. hookeri, I've given away some seeds from them here before.
Looks like 2 have already started to wake up. View attachment 8768
'Nice to see your hookeri coming back. There seem to be at least 2 plants there. Also kind of cool to see the old dead growth from last season.

I think I have a rupicola from the same source (as mine didn't decide to grow right and want dormant way late, only one looks to have lived and is trying to come back up...hopefully it survives because I have a different form coming in I want to cross it with), and really need more tuberous...space is limited though, need a bunch of Sarracenia seed pots to move elsewhere first.
I think my tissue-cultured rupicola were purchased from Europe and the importer just wanted to get rid of them while they were healthy so I got a one-time deal on them. I counted over 40 plantlets last year but I've since given some away. I'm just happy that they are coming back. My batting average with seedlings hasn't been nearly as good, but they have still proven worthwhile. I wish you success with your rupicola, and tuberous 'dews in general.

Back