What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not a bog or mini bog, then how do you overwinter?

I'll probably be a pest with questions and hope you'll indulge me.

I'm starting into this new area of gardening with sarracenia. I've gardened with terrestrial plants all my adult life, gotten into water gardening in the last decade (initially through planted freshwater aquaria), and now am fascinated with carnivorous plants. It seemed that with my geographic location (central Arkansas, zone 7b), sarracenia would be the easiest way to go.

I have a small lot, mostly shaded and not enough space for an in-ground bog that has enough sun, so the container that I can move around to get the right amount of sun seemed to be the way to go. I understand that I probably will have to protect it this winter.

But I'm cruising the forum and seeing all the trays with individually potted sarracenia, and wondering...

Do all of you have greenhouses? How do you overwinter those individual pots?

You can put the pots in an unheated shed or garage. Make sure the soil stays just damp and check often for mold. In the spring place back outside in the sun.

I live in south-eastern Missouri, zone 6b. Most of my Sarrs would be fine out all winter, and in fact that is mostly what I have done in the past. Last winter I kept them in one of those small greenhouses you can buy at Lowes (similar to a pop up tent). I have also kept them next to a western window in my unheated garage in years past.

Living where you are, you could probably leave most Sarrs outside. This will depend upon which species of Sarr you have, of course. If you really want to you might dig a hole large enough to accomodate your plants and then mulch over them with pine needles or dead leaves. If you sink them in the ground and mulch them I would think there is little-to-no chance they will succumb to winter weather.

Good question and welcome to the carnivorous plant hobby!

Back