What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify that bug?

I have a pot with an amaryllis minerva that came with a coir wafer. It's been sitting for a few weeks and tonight my girlfriend noticed a gnat-sized black bug crawling on the soil but before I got over there it had crawled into the coir and disappeared.

In various places I can also see these little yellow-white insects (larva/babies?). They're smaller than the sharp end of a needle's last 1mm so these are the best macros I can get of them. They appear to have legs and antenna that stretch forward.

I looked all over the place online but can't find any indication of what they might be. If anyone has any idea of what they are (and how to kill them) I'd be grateful.

Prod one, will it jump? If so, it's a springtail. *Mostly* harmless, IMO.

Neem usually takes care of a lot of issues. Give it a shot, worst thing that'll happen is that it wont work...

Prod one, will it jump? If so, it's a springtail. *Mostly* harmless, IMO.

Nope, they don't jump at all. I'm still looking around at various plant pests, and I haven't found a match yet.

Neem usually takes care of a lot of issues. Give it a shot, worst thing that'll happen is that it wont work...

Yea that's my default. :)

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Found them. They're thrips.

I've moved the amaryllis outside before they figure out that there are other pots.

f_occid1.jpg

Yup they're thrips - I had those a couple weeks ago and a dousing with neem killed them all off. They like to hang out on the growing tip of my neps and for some strange reason swimming in the saucers of a couple of dews.

thrips are a pain in the.....rear
i had them bad on my sarras this year, took very vigorous sprays of neem and orthenex(which you cant find anymore :( ) and a ton of spraying down....adventually i got rid of them but it cost my best pitchers of the season...stupid rotten little evil demons from hell.
They are seriously my worse nightmare other than whitefly

Yeah they mangled a whole lot of leaves on my neps. But on the up side, that caused burkei, spectabilis, sibXhamata, and exotic lady to activate two dormant nodes :-D. The basals on the spectabilis might actually have shot up from the roots they're so far away from the stem.

Back