What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i will appologize in advance......

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
for any out of line comments and odd behavior......Friday morning i go in for back surgery, i have a bulge in the L5-S1 disk pushing on the nerve going down my left leg.....they will drill 2 holes in the vertebra and have to detach some muscle off the bone to get to the bulge....sounds rough....well hell its gonna be rough but its a surgery thats been around for over 50 years and is the standard treatment, and at this stage about the only treatment for a bulge as bad as mine, and the recovery rate is pretty good.......anyways the surgeon says i will be unable to drive for 2 weeks and will likely not be interested in getting off the couch anyway....

in other words, i will be on really good drugs, be bored out of my skull and have complete access to the internet via my laptop.....sounds like a dangerous combination to me :-O

so your going to be in pain (at times), out of it(most of the time), and online(all the time). should make for some good conversation. just dont turn into an internet troll lol.

all joking aside, sounds like you got a rough patch ahead of you. i hope that everything goes well and that you have a speedy recovery man. best wishes.

-Javier

lol im rarely a troll but have been known to get into really heated discussions with some members.......anyways, lotta pain and lotta drugs and my self censorship might be a lil off and if i cross the line the mods can boot my rear till i sober up and no hard feelings.....just figured i would state the cause should it happen to give fair warning....

Dang, I'm sure it will go well for you. Like you said they do this all the time so it should be pretty routine. Still, you'll be in our prayers.

Now on to the fun part..... looking for some tinder...... a much larger pot...... and a bigger spoon to stir with.... Oh wait I'm on your side 99% of the time. Rats, takes all the fun out of that. Cheers !!

Good luck with the surgery......Looks like I'll have a fellow offender to play with for awhile. :mwahaha:

OY! Thanks for the heads up....I'll be watching you..... :suspect:

In all seriousness, good luck with the surgery. My brother went through something similar a few months ago, and he's back on his feet, at better than 100%.

a good buddy of mine went through the exact same surgery almost exactly 2 years ago, i know what to expect and its not bugging me, been through 4 other surgeries in the past though the recovery time for them wasnt as long......surgery doesnt bug me, my wife however is darn near worrying herself to death....not sure why, she was around at my last knee surgery and nothing went wrong and i only missed 4 days of work(sliced and diced Wednesday morning, back to work Tuesday morning) for it though it took a few weeks before i was back to 100% moving heavy stacks of paper around......

best of luck, enjoy the drugs and make the most of your time off trolling and posting, just don't do what I've done and buy more plants than you have room for while you're at it

actually no worries bout that, im out of room till i redo the plant room....the burb, merr and densi x black trunc hit a heck of a growth spurt and need to be moved out of the hardening off tank and i have no place to move them to.....was hoping to rearrange stuff before surgery but the last few weeks have been rougher and ive been hitting bed earlier and earlier to get off my feet so it will have to wait till im feeling better.....not really sure i wanted to move the neps to a spot with less humidity while i was in the first week or so of recovery anyways as i prolly wont be to interested in checking on them a couple times a day....they can sit where they are for prolly 2 more months if they have to.....going to water stuff tonight and they should be able to be ignored for 7 to 10 days depending on the weather without me looking in on them....

I think your wife is more worried about dealing with you all drugged up than the actual surgery!

:lol:

Hey Rattler while your off go ahead and setup a nice planted terrarium and start letting it get established - I've got vampire crab babies! :)
I saw one riding on it's momma earlier today but wasn't able to get pic, not sure when I'll be able to catch them cos right now they are 1/4" and the color of wet peat! So once they start turning red they "should" be easier to spot and catch, of course I'm trying to catch them out of this:

crabitat9.jpg

Wish me luck on catching your babies! LOL

I can send you a few orange ispods and some larger tropical springtails if you want/need em to start a colony. I put a ton of both in today as food for parents and babies. Are you already culturing D. heydei fruitflies (the larger ones)?

Last edited:
pre-op appointment done, gotta be at the hospital at 5:30 in the morning, gonna start cutting at 7:30, should be out of surgery around 10 and they are gonna keep me overnight, if all is well ill be discharged Saturday morning and my wife and brother will be driving like a bat out of hell the 300 miles home......

swords ill send yah a pm early next week....

Good luck with the surgery! They say early morning is the best time to have your surgery, both my dads heart ops were started about 7 - 8 am.

No rush, I pruned the Begonia tonight and saw a few more babies but didn't catch any of course.... :(
Unlike mantids these guys don't willingly climb onto your hand or a twig set near them - they bolt for a cave or dive into their pools and run under the floating plants! I was hoping I could catch some babies and get them "hand tame" but so far no dice, I don't know when they hatched, today is the first day I've noticed them and the first time I've even seen a parent crab in a couple weeks, so I never got to see the female carrying around a clutch of eggs. I have read the females of this red species do not carry the young around as long as the other vampire crab species, and if that's the case then this may be day 1 of the babies hatching and being free wandering.

Today, I was looking at my sister's arm (and more accurately, her tattoo) and I realized that on it (a celtic cross) she has the same words you have in your avatar (there I go again, making any and every random connection from life to TF), and rather that just google it, I asked her what it meant.

She forgets.
She just got the tattoo in June. And all I know is she got it because of the movie The Boondock Saints, cause we for damn sure aren't Irish.
It gave me good lolz, and I wanted to share.

Anyway, I hope it goes well and you have a quick recovery!

sitting in the hospital bed.......wife brought me the laptop to see if i could get on the internet and it turns out the hospital has wi-fi for patients to use....atleast i think its for patients, if it aint they didnt secure it very well :D

surgery lasted closer to 3 hours instead of 2, bulge got worse since the MRI the end of July, was quite a bit bigger and a second bulge had appeared.....not doing to bad pain wise tonight, should be headed home in the morning.....

YAY! Here's hoping for a speedy, painless recovery and no more back problems for a lifetime!

got through the night with percs every 5-5.5 hours.....given my tolerance to opiates due to my knees being so bad for so long i was also allowed morphine between the 4 hours i was allowed percs but it wasnt needed......more an ache than a sharp pain which surprised me given the filleted the muscle away from the bone and drilled 2 holes through the bone......only reason i even took one of the doses at 5.5 was cause they woke me up for vitals and figured they needed to stay in my system......waiting on breakfast and the doc should be around to kick me out in the next couple hours i hope....

Back