What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you pronounce names

This weekend my father in law (has a PhD in herpetology) and I were talking carnivorous plants and I noticed he pronounced the scientific names totally different then me. How do you pronounce them?
ex.1 S. leucophylla
I say: luke oh file a
he says: lew coff ill a
ex.2 S.oreophila
I say: oreo fill a
He says: oh rif ill a
ex. S. flava
me: flaw va
him: flay va
ex. alata
me: a la ta
him: ay late a
we did pronounce sarracenia and rubra the same.:boogie:

Last edited:
That's why herpetologists generally aren't allowed out in public.

That's why herpetologists generally aren't allowed out in public.

Ha! Good one. It's like reading fantasy novels with crazy names. I say them one way in my head while reading and hear it differently from the author. I generally don't have to worry about it since I know zero people that I verbally speak to about plants, anyhow. For the time being, I'll settle for just spelling everything correctly!

xvart.

Any time there's a "phyll" it should be pronounced like "file".
Latin names of colors, etc, have a different "a" than we usually use in English, its more of an "ah".
"ii" at the end is like "e-i" (seriously, like saying the letter e, then the letter i)
"ea" is "a-uh"
"ae" = "a" (slightly different than the normal English "a")
Lots of names are either a botanists name plus one of those endings, (iae in some cases (pronounced "e-a"), or the name of a place followed by "iensis" lol.

I always thought the "c" in leucophylla was pronounced like an "s" ...."loo-so-fiy-la"
Am I wrong?

Sarracenias are easy because there are so few species. No matter how badly I pronounce alata, no one is likely to think I'm talking about a rubra. Orchids are different because there are about 56,457,234,012 species and anytime you mispronounce the name of one, you're likely to be correctly pronouncing the name of another.

..........that's why the common names come in so handy for the more commonly grown CP's. ;)

I HATE HATE HATE common names!

In my head I pronounce things not always the same as if I were to speak them. In my head, phylla will always be filla, but of course I would pronounce it properly if I were to speak it. I always say the word EX in my head when I see a hybrid.

I do not pronounce leuco as "luke-o". I say it as "lieuco" as in "in lieu". Fortunately it's a "dead" language so we get some freedom with the pronunciation. I was pleased when I saw that video with Rob Cantley. I was very happy to hear him speak, because I discovered then that I had been pronouncing everything properly all along. He did say "cross" instead of "ex", but other than that I say the same things.

I thought some of those pronunciations sounded goofy. Definitely different that I've ever heard any professors say them. Maybe it's because he's British?

Idk maybe all my professors just pronounced it a certain way...in the video it just sounded off. There was one or two where I was just like "WHOAH! what???". Unless you speak Latin (well 2 or 3 of them did), then almost everyone is bound to pronounce it different. I'm not too sure about saying it like "lieuco". Think about leukocytes or leukemia. Same word, same pronunciation, just w/ a K instead of a C.

I've only verbally spoken to one person about them, and we pronounced things differently. Oh well lol.

Back