What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you decide which Nepenthes to get?

First off: thanks for the order. Those are some plants that I'm pretty excited about.

Next: you should be able to relax a bit about the plants. They are growing in an unheated greenhouse in San Francisco, so they are extremely hardened. Since you're in the Bay Area too, I would think about trying them outdoors in filtered sun or on a cold windowsill. Enclosed boxes like yours are good for extremely soft ex-vitro plants, but will probably weaken the plants I send.

Finally: this always comes up when someone mentions N. talangensis. In my experience, it is neither small, slow-growing, nor difficult to pitcher. It's true that my conditions are quite good, but I've never found anything exceptional about this plant.

IMG_20140414_142253_929.jpg

IMG_20140414_142315_826.jpg

IMG_20140414_142330_644.jpg

IMG_20140524_140718_842.jpg

IMG_20140524_140722_713.jpg

Woah, awesome you're also on this website. It's an honor to chat with you, your online store is AMAZING!!!!. Ya, I really wanted to order from you because you're near by and the discount was great. I'll put them outside in filtered sunlight, plus a couple hours of direct morning sun around 7-9 AM. I'll save boxes like that for other plants. Can't wait for you to restock Sarracenia.

I really hope I don't have to get out my old 10 gallon tank.............. This bay area weather better prevail lol

Last edited:
i dont know if my 2 cents still matters, but most of the people that say they had difficulty
Growing this plant that it mainly just didnt pitcher and thrive. No danger of instakilling it. (I however have not grown
It and cant truly say)

thats a beautiful talangensis there!! well done :)
Mine was one that grew big and flowered many times, but didnt pitcher when it started vining. I got brief periods of pitchers on basals but they stopped when vining.

Im glad you are ditching the box :)

let's hope my lazy set up works and don't have to get a terrarium

I would still say this species (well, the BE clone at least) is pretty sensitive. I haven't grown it myself, but a friend who ordered one pretty much instakilled it with intermediate conditions and a few days of lower than normal humidity.

Ya'll know what's the secret to growing Nepenthes??? $$$$$$. That's what I've learned

lol
$$$$$ to afford them yes, but na, I dont agree that they need to be expensive to maintain. heating may be pricey when needed but not cooling or humidifying IMO
my greenhouse is in full sun for most of the day and is run by about $50 of equipment. today was 34C outside and ~25C inside

Ya'll know what's the secret to growing Nepenthes??? $$$$$$. That's what I've learned

Its 60% money, 40% strategic setup/thinking I would say.

First off: thanks for the order. Those are some plants that I'm pretty excited about.

Next: you should be able to relax a bit about the plants. They are growing in an unheated greenhouse in San Francisco, so they are extremely hardened. Since you're in the Bay Area too, I would think about trying them outdoors in filtered sun or on a cold windowsill. Enclosed boxes like yours are good for extremely soft ex-vitro plants, but will probably weaken the plants I send.

Finally: this always comes up when someone mentions N. talangensis. In my experience, it is neither small, slow-growing, nor difficult to pitcher. It's true that my conditions are quite good, but I've never found anything exceptional about this plant.

IMG_20140414_142253_929.jpg

IMG_20140414_142315_826.jpg

IMG_20140414_142330_644.jpg

IMG_20140524_140718_842.jpg

IMG_20140524_140722_713.jpg
Thats a really nice talangensis, what are your conditions?

well, I already heat a room to keep warm for my reptiles, so LL neps are easy for me. It's the HL neps I am a bit intimidated by.

Building enclosures for them is not unlike building enclosures for exotic reptiles - which I have plenty of experience doing pretty cheap.

do you have pictures of your setup in another thread?

I'd rather buy a pre-assemebled green house with shelving ready. cause i have no idea how to build things or wire pipes or what not. Super not handy at all

Last edited:
Woah, awesome you're also on this website. It's an honor to chat with you, your online store is AMAZING!!!!. Ya, I really wanted to order from you because you're near by and the discount was great. I'll put them outside in filtered sunlight, plus a couple hours of direct morning sun around 7-9 AM. I'll save boxes like that for other plants. Can't wait for you to restock Sarracenia.

Just keep them well watered and they should be fine outside. Double check the Sarracenia. It's a quirk of my site that they don't say "in stock."

i dont know if my 2 cents still matters, but most of the people that say they had difficulty
Growing this plant that it mainly just didnt pitcher and thrive. No danger of instakilling it. (I however have not grown
It and cant truly say)

They do go through periods of not pitchering for me too, especially the leaves following a flower.

Thats a really nice talangensis, what are your conditions?

Thank you. Unheated greenhouse near San Francisco. Look @ the weather for zip 94019 & add 15-20 degrees during the day. Tap water. No misting.

stop guys, the more i look at your green house the more i wanna go buy one!!!!!

Back