What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are my conditions?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I've purchased 2 orchids for my girlfriend recently, both Phalaenopsis, and am just trying to make sure our conditions for them are fine.

They are currently in a north facing window, midwest US. They are inside, so temps around 70, and are watered with orchid fertilizer treated water whenever the moss is almost fully dried.

The first one purchased was in bad shape when I got it, but still has a few solid healthy looking leaves.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good to me, except I'd shoot for an east facing window for the best light..

I wish I could, but my apartment has only north and south facing windows. It could be possible to put it in a covered south facing. Would you expect it to still be ok in north facing however?

Yes it would be OK, it just wouldn't really thrive.

Put it behind blinds on the South facing window. Mine are behind blinds in San Diego in a West facing window and I think they're doing fine because a couple are blooming right now after spiking for me.

I have several orchids outside in San Diego (I am NO ORCHID EXPERT BY ANY MEANS)

From what I've experienced, they need about half sun and moderate temps, with a winter drop...and infrequent watering.

Iwould double check and keep an eye out for mites. I have one that had them; it didn't grow or do anything for 4 months. I checked, saw she had some, treated, and within 2 days she has the beginning of a new leaf coming in.
Just put them in the sunniest window you have but try to shield them from direct sunlight for extended periods of time.
Otherwise sounds like you're doing everything right (from my limited knowledge)
Good luck and enjoy!

Back