What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Greetings Everybody!

I'm just getting into CPs. I had a hardware store VFT bought in 1968 or so that somehow managed to survive in a big jar on a kitchen window sill for 12 or so years. It might have lasted longer but sadly I went away to college leaving the plant behind (would Seattle be too cold for it)? I came back one break to find a dead, dried up plant.

The 3 or 4 plants I tried to keep since that tragedy lasted only a few months. What I didn't know then...

What I did know was: don't water with tap water, acidic soil, warmth & humidity. That was about it.

So now I'm making a go of it again, armed with the knowledge gleaned from the Internet, books and what have you.

So far I have a Sarracenia minor seedling, a couple garden shop VFTs, a clump of Drosera aliciae and a Drosera capillaris x rotundifolia.

The S. minor is in plastic dome terrarium (Dunecraft kit) on a west facing windowsill (dome partially removed), the VFTs are in the tiny pots they came in in plastic trays on a east facing windowsill and the Drosera are in trays in an old five gallon fish tank with 30 watts of fluorescent light on them.

I live in Los Angeles, near the beach.

Oh, and I just joined the International Carnivorous Plant Society.

Welcome!! well...honestly... this time of year was probably the worst time of year to join the ICPS. youll have to pay another 25$ in december to renew your membership
biggrin.gif
. anyways have fun here and remember a few things here... mostly everyone likes you, 0zzy is the TF god, be sure to laugh at his jokes and fall for his april(or october....) fools tricks or else face the pain of a mod!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
haha
Alex

Well, actually the ICPS says the cutoff is the end of October so hopefully I'm ok. They haven't sent me all the 2006 newsletters which they say they do if I join before the cutoff date.

Welcome to the forum, you'll find it all here ! There are lots of folks in your area too.

Hi,welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Welcome to Terraforums!

Welcome aboard!
welcome.gif

I'm glad you joined up. Another convert to the addiction.
smile.gif
Stick around and learn some new things and have fun.

Back