What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed urgently.Bad fungus infection or good mycorrhizae?

I reported 2 of this orchid (name unknown but according to sources i look up it maybe tiger orchid???) and after a few month i notice some white thing on top of both orchids something like a bubble or something rounded in shape. Then i reroot the plant and found what to be a fungus infection but not sure. I found some website saying some orchid do have symbiosis relation with mycorrhizae? is this the case? I repotted one of the orchid with sphagnum moss while another i left it for another month or so. what should i do with the other? Below is the pic the orchid (the one that hvnt repotted) have been infected for more than 2 month already and still doing fine. But im worry it will infect the other orchid, anyone can help ? Oh BTW pine wood shredder and coconut residue are the medium.
P1010756.jpg

P1010757.jpg

P1010758.jpg

P1010759.jpg

I can't be positive but it LOOKS like you have mushroom fungus growing/feeding on the mulch (pine wood shredder). In a little while longer you will probably get some kind of mushrooms fruiting from this plant pot. If it is a mushroom bloom they will use up the available nutrients, fruit and then generally disappear when the usable nutrients for them are gone (this means the white stuff will go away then too). Mushrooms don't tend to harm the plants they grow near. Many of my ferns sprout mushrooms around their bases and in their pots from time to time why those and not other plants I don't know but they don't hurt anything.

First of all, the plant could be a Gongora or similar genus (Stanhopea?) and you should read about their growth requirements, especially about how they're best grown in baskets. As for the fungal growth, it probably isn't harmful by itself, but it can be a symptom of a larger problems, such as a mix that stays too wet. The plant looks reasonably healthy, but I don't see much in the way of healthy roots. You should remove as much of that mix as you can, without damaging the plant, and repot it. I should say basket it. Be careful about watering it too often afterwards and it will be fine.

Back