What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Illinois

Hello all! New to CPs as a whole, though I've tried keeping the cheap ones you can find at Home Depot and other stores like that without a ton of success. I just got a couple started from the DuneCraft eggs, so fingers crossed those work a little better! Just on the face of things, I'm most interested in Drosera, but I'm sure I'll expand out to other groups at some point :)

I guess a little about myself. I'm an entomologist and I have a large collection of insect and arachnid pets (I can post a full list if anyone is interested) and I collect tiger beetles and jewel beetles as well during the spring/summer/fall. Birding has also become a fun hobby. Anything outdoors is always a good thing too!

Make sure your bugs don't escape. Depending on what CP's you have, they might not have a chance.

Nothing large at this point (and they're in separate rooms), but all my species are in escape proof enclosures, so I'm not too worried :) I will be using a couple of my roach colonies as occasional feeders for the plants though.

What were you planning to feed roaches to? The only cp that I can think of that would be capable of eating a cockroach would be a really big nepenthes.

Welcome to TF!

What were you planning to feed roaches to? The only cp that I can think of that would be capable of eating a cockroach would be a really big nepenthes.

I have VFT's and will be getting some Drosera. I have a variety of roach species, many of which are really small, so I'd be feeding newborn roach nymphs to my CPs. The nymphs are maybe 1/4", and once my little Kenyan roaches get going I'll have nymphs smaller than fruit flies that I can feed off. All feedings would be occasional too, so I wouldn't do too much damage to the CPs or let mold grow or anything. Planning on adding springtails to the substrates to take care of mold/algae/leftovers as well to help keep things in good shape.

Welcome to TF!

Thank you! :)

Oh, roach nymphs, not adults, of course. What was I thinking?

Back