What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all,,this is my first Orchid,,,I was told it is 5 years old and in need of TLC

Hello everyone Brian here from Asheville nc
Well I have always wanted to grow an orchid but never felt up to it, My wife came home from work today with a 5 year old orchid that is in need of some help....:-D

I could use some help ID ing this beauty and some pointers,,,,,,,:crazy: as this is my first

I will be growing it indoors next to my big terrarium so it will get some good light for now,
DSCN7589.jpg

DSCN7592.jpg

This one looks kinda wrinkly
DSCN7591.jpg

DSCN7588.jpg

DSCN7587.jpg

Water through it once a week, put it next to your lights (not under), and it's a phalaenopsis hybrid.

You appear to have a little bit of scale there (an annoying but easy to handle pest - in the first pic, on edge of the leaf on the upper-left-hand corner of the frame.) Take a paper towel wetted with rubbing alcohol and clean the leaves off a few times over the next few weeks. Sometimes they won't come off until after the second time, because the alcohol has to kill them before they'll release their grip on the leaf.
~Joe

my mom has one of these growing outside in regular compost top layered with mulch, been growing great for her but i wanted to know in the first couple pics, are those the roots that are growing OUT the top of the pot? my moms is doing this also, its in a huge pot presumably 2-3 gallons what should be done in this case? the plant has never flowered (as far as i know) but its never stopped growing.

are those the roots that are growing OUT the top of the pot?
Yes, they are. Phalaenopsis are epiphytes, growing on trunks and branches etc, with their roots exposed.You'll note that the roots that are exposed to light are green, this is due to the fact that they are capable of photosynthesis. This is the reason that Phalaenopsis are often grown in transparent pots.

Last edited:
Try googling 'moth orchids'.

From what I can tell the roots look healthy, after a while I would consider repotting but that’s just because I like mine on top of the pot and not sunk into, also they tend to fall over (perfectly natural and actually helps prevent crown rot).
Give her a good soaking in pure water and I would isolate her before bringing her close to any other plants. At least until she looks really healthy and you're sure she doesn't have any scale left over or mites. Also wait a few weeks but look into some orchid fertilizer; just be sure to give her plenty of time to adjust and if you repot her wait 5weeks before fertilizing.
Otherwise she looks strong and like she wants to live, just needs to be given the proper conditions.

Here are some tips on watering:
You don't want the plant water logged but you don't want it bone dry.
One thing you can do to keep it even is thus:
Put a plain pop sickle stick in the media going a few inches down and wait for a few minutes or so.
Pull the pop sickle out
if it is soaked: wait a few more days then try again,
if it doesn't have any water on it: water soon,
if it is just a little wet: water.

I'm a Phal killer but I can grow the others easily. I have mainly Oncidiums.

Back