What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heliamphora glabra

This plant has been a royal PITA. After I acquired it several years ago, it died back to a single pitcher and root. Together they did not exceed 0.75 inchers. Slowly, and with lots of TLC it has come back to what you see now...

One of the more delicate and temperamental clone lines to be sure... needs cooler temps, higher humidity and lower light than most species.

She is just now developing its characteristic "goose head" nectar spoon.
glabra1_hf.jpg

glabra3_hf.jpg

glabra2_hf.jpg

Images taken with one of my fav lenses, a Vintage Russian Helios 44-3 58mm

Thanks for looking,
Av

Very cool Butch! for a glabrous plant it looks rather fuzzy in that last picture :-O

I think the glabrous part of the official description refers to the pitcher interior... but I would have to check to be sure.
The goose head is rather pronounced in this species though.

yes. the interior of the pitcher is supposed to be hairless....
this species is supposedly supposed to be one of the most multi-colored pitchers in the genus. according to mcphereson, the plant only holds a max of 3 pitchers at a time. one green, one red, and one purple (from youngest to oldest).

seems to hold true in the wild:
Heliamphora-article-images-1.jpg

glabra3.jpg

nothing feels good like nature telling you "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!" :lol:
regardless, im glad this plant ended up being a success story for you, Butch. i've learned from your mistakes, and am keeping it under lower light conditions. ;)

When i increased humidity and decreased temp... she went "awwwwwwwwwwwwww.... now im happy"
Neblina easy... but glabra, pain in the arse :p

very cool! thanks for sharing!

Butch, I must agree on the arse pain associated with glabra; I had much the same experience. Congrats on you pulling it through . . .

if you wanna get with me
there's some things you gotta know--
i like my lights dimmed
and my temps down low,
te-te-temps, temps, temps down low,
temps, temps, temps down low
i, i, i like my lights dimmed
and my temps down low
temps, temps down low
temps, temps, temps down low
i, i, i like my lights dimmed
and my temps down low

yeah....that's all i've got left to contribute to the discussion....

omg that is a mental image i didnt need

amphybieber LOL

<-----only if bieber looks as good as this stud right here. dont question me. im a "genius" :lol:

Congrats Butch and very nice!

I don't remember mine ever being hairy inside nor out.....

/shrugs.... me dunno, but your pic is very interesting indeed.

thanks for your reply Butch. FWIW Andreas said the interior hair was normal on youngish plants and would disappear with time, but that the exterior hair seemed "puzzling." In any case this thing seems hairier than my pilosa, I guess time will tell what to make of it.

Back