What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Helis

Its a very nice plant !
Are you sure about the tag? Its a real h.minor var minor in your opinion ? I can see some heterodoxa influence, but maybe im wrong !

Its a very nice plant !
Are you sure about the tag? Its a real h.minor var minor in your opinion ? I can see some heterodoxa influence, but maybe im wrong !

There's nothing heterodoxa in the plant, it's only minor. Looks nothing like the heterodoxa x minor I have.

WHY DO YOU HAVE EVERYTHING!!!!!! I now need a gallon bucket and a mop for my drool.

- - - Updated - - -

At this rate I expect your next photo thread to be called “hcarltons adult edwardsianas and red hairy hamatas”

Amazing plants n flowers !

Look at that, almost exactly one year...and the nutans is in bloom again. Probably won't get any seeds this round either... but still gonna try.
H. nutans by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
H. nutans by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
And also for this thread, something very new and very special that I just recently received from Maiden:
H. 'Red Mambo' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Nothing's changed since this pic was taken the day it arrived, but that none of the leaves have browned or wilted a whit is the encouraging sign. I take it to mean good new roots are forming, and that I may soon see above-ground growth.

So apparently there's the belief that most of the labeled H. nutans in cultivation are actually hybrids...not that I could get any explanation or links to info on how to identify this when I tried, so for now still leaving the nutans here labeled as such until I can get some sort of access to the species descriptions....but in the meantime, here's a known hybrid, one that I sold the main plant of a while back and only kept a small division behind, and it's starting to take off again:
H. heterodoxa x minor by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

The monster nutans is shading out basically everything else (I need to divide it badly, but it's flowering double right now too), but though rather green plants like 'Red Mambo' from Maiden are doing well
H. 'Red Mambo' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Beautiful Helis, thanks for sharing! I've tried them a number of times, but can't keep them long term with my temps.

Wow stunning helis, i always wanted to give them a try, any recommendations for a First species?

I recommend a hybrid, not a species, and you must be able to provide highland conditions.

I recommend a hybrid, not a species, and you must be able to provide highland conditions.
If i could get it down to 65 at night would that be enough? Currently i have my plants on a heat pad and i put it up to 79 in the day and turn it off at night and combined with the humidity it gets down to 65, past few days 60 but thats just cause its been cold..

Back