What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Helis

Apparently I never started a thread for these guys, but with 4 different kinds now it's probably time
A new arrival, came as one plant that I managed to separate into 2, but they're both loaded with growth points: H. heterodoxa x nutans
H. heterodoxa x nutans by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
H. heterodoxa x nutans by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
And pure H. nutans getting big. Anyone know how large they have to be before they transition?
H. nutans by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

Also have a vigorous H. heterodoxa x minor and a few very young H. minor, both of which I might have pictures of soon.

Looking good. A couple of the H.nutans divisions look like they're only a pitcher or 2 away from adultish traps.

There's 2 plants there each with 2 growth points. And good to hear, both of them are reaching nearly 3" tall now; I really want to see the adult pitchers!!!! :)

Southern sun, eh? Are you growing these in window sills, Carlton?! Terraria? You have my interest piqued.

oh my gooooodddd, they are so cute!! thanks for sharing. they look like they are doing really well.

Those nectar spoons...

Great looking Helis!

Thanks! Still waiting for my two other seedling-stage plants to move it though....

Very nice! Heliamphora are such beautiful plants! I need to add some to my collection one of these days :)

what kind of lighting and how close are they to it?

Last edited:
Very nice! Heliamphoras are such beautiful plants! I need to add some to my collection one of these days :)

what kind of lighting and how close are they to it?

All scientific names, plant and animal are written so that they are intrinsically both singular and plural, without changing their spelling. They are formulated that way, so that no changes to their spelling are necessary, nor permitted. In other words, the suffix "s" is not needed, nor permitted, since it modifies the spelling, in this case, of the genus (generic) name. Even that much is not permitted by the rules of botanical nomenclature.

In this instance, the genus is Heliamphora, and there is yet, no genus, Heliamphoras, as the addition of the suffix "s", would imply.

An easy place to read about these rules, is here -> RHS plant name guide. The Royal Horticultural Society has assembled an easy to understand guide.

Joseph, I think it is quite clear he was referring to the multiple plants in plural, no need to delve deep into the nomenclatural details on this.......

tje25, they are under a single bulb T5, don't recall the exact wattage, and probably about 6-8" away from the light. During winter they also get sunlight through the window though, so that probably is adding to the great color they have currently.

Joseph, I think it is quite clear he was referring to the multiple plants in plural, no need to delve deep into the nomenclatural details on this.......

tje25, they are under a single bulb T5, don't recall the exact wattage, and probably about 6-8" away from the light. During winter they also get sunlight through the window though, so that probably is adding to the great color they have currently.

I was always under the impression they needed more light than that, but yours look great! What are temps/humidity normally like?

Note: off topic posts deleted.

HC, those helis are looking good! So much growth in three months' time. I've recently decided to give this genus a shot... I can only hope mine looks half as good as yours in three months.

What are your temps? Do you feed/fertilize?

Not all of them....

Back