What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all,
Here are some pics of some of my neps. These are in intermediate conditions in winter and on the cooler side of lowland in the summer. The rest of my neps are outside. My mom has been taking care of my plants while I'm at school, and she sent me these pics today. It's nice to be able to see the progress they have made, especially after the coffee treatment I gave them a month and a half ago. Sorry for the blurriness in some of the pics. My mom's camera isn't very good.

DSC00058.jpg

Left to right: N. veitchii pink, N. maxima x [(stenophylla x lowii) x (Rokko x veitchii-Highland)] (whew, that's a long name!), N rafflesiana BE 88 or 99, and N. spectabilis giant in the back

P1090082.jpg

This was taken 2 months ago. N truncata pasian highland and N. ventricosa very squat x red leather

DSC00052.jpg

The same plants today

DSC00059.jpg

Look at the size increase

DSC00067.jpg

Truncata showing promise. I hope this clone produces redder pitchers as it gets bigger

DSC00054-Copy.jpg

This was sold as a seed grown N. burkei, which it obviously is not...but it doesn't seem to be a ventricosa either...

DSC00053-Copy.jpg

Malesiana's veitchii pink with dyeriana working on a pitcher behind it

DSC00061.jpg

N. Miranda starting to vine

P1090084.jpg

Baby N. maxima giant wavy leaved form
Now for some non-neps
P1090087.jpg

Utricularia reniformis

P1090089.jpg

U. longifolia

DSC00034.jpg

Laeliocattleya Gold Digger 'Orglade's Mandarin'

DSC00072.jpg

Rhyncostylis gigantea

DSC00064-Copy.jpg

Phaius Dan Rosenburg

P1090074.jpg

The north side of the greenhouse

Nice! What's the outside of the place look like?

Terrific greenhouse man. ALMOST makes me wish my family had stayed in southern California! Nice variety of beautiful plants for sure.

Looks great - that truncata is awesome. Always good to hear a positive report of family/friends caring for plants. You should do something nice for your mom.
~Joe

Great looking truncata! Certainly unique!

Thanks for the comments.
As for pics of the outside, I currently don't have any, but the walls are like the ones you see for those stores with glass fronts (horrible description, I know). The roof is polycarbonate.

I'm coming up with something for my mom for Mother's Day, but I think she actually likes taking care of the plants especially because she's less busy now that my brother and I are in college.

Nice plants. Your nepenthes look really happy. Are you growing them in pure LF sphagnum or is that a top dressing? The orchids look great, too. Is that a cattleya claesiana between the N. truncata and N. ventricosa? If so, has it ever bloomed for you? I see you have a rhyncostilis. I had the same one growing in my lowland setup for a number of years. I really liked it but it got too big, and I needed the room for other things. The flowers have the most evocative scent, just a bit odd and sort of fresh and exciting.

Nepguy--I grow most of my neps in a mix of coco husk chips, perlite, and coarse orchid bark. The sphag is a topdressing. The orchid between the vent and truncata is a Lc. Love Knot, which is Laelia sincorana x Catt walkeriana. I've had it for a year, and it's constantly putting out new growths, but it refuses to bloom for me. The Rhyncostylis is one of my favorites. Your description about the scent is completely correct: it's nice and lemony from a distance, then the closer you get, you start getting this funky smell too. I have an Aerides x Rhyncostylis getting ready to bloom that's like a larger version of this one. I'll post pic of it if I'm home when it blooms.

Beautiful plants, especially the truncata; thanks for sharing!

Back