What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giveaway: Drosera capensis 'Albino' Seeds

I received mine today thank you for doing these giveaways, always a good time.

My seeds arrived today, thanks a ton for this giveaway!

Wow I just have to say thanks again Johnny I've started about twenty types of sundew seeds this winter and these were by far the fastest to germinate plated them on 2-19 and today i seen a bunch sprouted

"Drosera capensis var. alba" is a good example of, what is called a nomen nudum (naked name).

A name, even if it follows, what appears, superficially to be correct nomenclatural rules, and even if it is published in a well written and popular book, does not automatically follow that it is then a validly published scientific name. As in this case, it is not. These types of publications of names that seem official, when they aren't, are tracked by botanists and taxonomists, because the names used, though not validly published yet, may eventually be validly published. If this name does, ever become validly published, it may or may not be associated with the same plant.

Meanwhile, R.Borret & N.Farrow, registered the same plant as the cultivar, Drosera 'Albino' or Drosera capensis 'Albino'. So I recommend using this horticulturally valid cultivar name, rather than a nomen nudum (naked name).

Last edited:
Back