What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Dustin,

What happened with the fish deaths? Ok now?

Bobby

Hi Bobby -

Thank you for asking. It seems after the five week mark when the cycling should have been over, the fish deaths came to a screeching hault. The only deaths I have had lately are due to jumping out of the tanks. Which I have began addressing by using plastic mesh made for cross stitch (walmart is good for something)

Im going to move the Sailfins into a 29 gal in the next few days. I had Golden Pearls 200-300 Microns and a 1/2 Lb Decapsulated Brine Shrimp on hand. I just didnt know I could feed the shrimp to fish that were so big! What abot hte golden pearls? Have you had any luck with them? I origionally bought these for an emergency for fry (ie: micro worms all died out again)

Ill keep you updated on how these progress.

I have around 12 Illyodon Whitei fry all the sudden
smile.gif
I think thats a good sign that things are better in the fishroom.

Would you still be willing to send over some monties?

Thank You Much
biggrin.gif

Hope all is well

Dustin

I'm pretty sure even adult mollies will try to nab BBS. I've heard good things about golden pearls but they seem too expensive for me. If they work as advertised(hang midwater) they might work for Notho fry though.

HI If the fish eat them golden pearls are good. Mine never liked them. The decap bs is just as good. A trick with Poecilia and Xiphophorus is to feed even the adults live bbs. They love it so the decap eggs they will graze off the bottom. Live bbs is why we have the big fancy livebearers we have today. They helped to create the delta tail guppy.

I can send some monties. Let me get some other things out first. Now mine are a cross between the pure spotted like I sent Joe and the blue/green strain. Not every fish in the community is a cross yet but I have to treat the tank as if they are all. So this will just be an "aquarium strain" and not a location. If you want pure then get some of the spotted from Joe. I might be able to sedn you some of the other two sailfins too -- velifera and kykesis (petenensis). Do you like the nezahualcoylt swords?

Bobby

Hi -

I agree the golden pearls are NOT cheap.. I tried BBS last night, Im going to go check on them in a few minutes, Ill update on how that goes later.

Bobby - I would be very happy to take whatever you want to ship over. Ill pay shipping or whatever you want to do
smile.gif
The aquarium strain is nice, I can always get the location strain from Joe (at least I think I can, haha) I do have a pair of nezahualcoylt I got them at the ALA convention - they are growing well. I guess I should be feeding them BBS as well?
smile.gif

I fed the Sailfins, killies and the Blue Parrot Variatus some Decaped BBS today, all seemed to eat it right up. I was kind of suprised how fast they recognized it as a food and went after it
smile.gif
I used to try micro worms and they didnt really go after those. So I just assumed small foods like that were, well to small. Glad I have ppl like you to set me straight
smile.gif

Let me know when you get a chance bobby. Ive got five 29 gals on standby (and yes by now they are cycled haha)

Also - Joe - Your box will go out tomorrow (tuesday)!

Well yep its almost a quarter after 2 in the AM... I was shutting stuff down and getting ready to goto bed. I dropped a few flys into one of the N. Foerschi tanks and had to look around for the female. She usually slammed the top of the water when flys were swimming... Yep shes a floater..... Big red belly full of decaped brine shrimp
smile_h_32.gif
I was afraid they would kill something.. haha - well I still have a pair downstairs. These came from Dr. Nielson (sp?) from the AKA fish list.. Hate to loose them, as the deal is Im suppost to send 2 pair back to the committee.. Cant even do that with a 100% refund of their fish now haha.

Could I have overfed them?
smile_h_32.gif
The ones downstairs were not given those and they are doing ok. However, I fed alot of the other fish these same decaped shrimp and they are (seem) fine...
I hate deaths.....

Any Ideas?
Thanks Guys -

Dustin

Hi,

Hmmm, strange. I've never lost a fish to decapped eggs. I have to overfeeding frozen bloodworms and live blackworms (only when unchopped). I don't know what happened. The decapped eggs are best if you hydrate them before feeding in a jar of water until they all sink. Then bast them into the tank. Just feed less. Nothos are weird. Did you have any peat in their tank? With Nothos always keep a bowl of peat in their tanks as they can drop dead unexpectedly and that way you have eggs to back you up. Just boil a good grade of pure (no minerals and fertilizer added) peat moss in an enamel or glass pan (those blue enamel Mexican pots are great) for an hour in hard water and then rinse it in a net under the cold faucet and place enough in a heavy or weighted (small stones) glass or plastic container (food storage containers are great as are cereal bowls) and SLOWLY!!!!!!! AND PATIENTLY!!!!!!!!!! submerge it in the tank. The peat should be an inch deep in the container. I use a container that is at least 6 inches across and 3 inches deep. Try to collect, dry until damp and fluffable and store in a sealed plastic fishstore type bag labeled with species, collection and hoped for hatch date for 2 months with guentheri.

Bobby

Hmm well I didnt know to hydrate them before feeding - I just let them float and the fish took them off the top of the water.

Looks like i was missinformed again. I put boiled coir in baby jars and added to the northos tanks. One jar per tank. Shoudl I use something different? What your saying is something like a glass cereal bowl?

The male Foerschi was in the jar today, So im hoping they indeed laid eggs in the coir before she died. However she was huge, I was anticipating a spawn today or tomorrow. I still have one female left... Should I seperate her from the male and then re-introduce her in a few days? I dont want to chance anything iwth her.

Thats the only death thus far from the decapped shrimp.

Thanks!@

Dustin

Hi,

Baby jars sound too small. I use larger containers so I have more peat and the fish can move easier. I don't like coir as it seems to dry out too fast. I'd use peat. You can mix the coir into peat for better storage. If the foerschi are fine I'd leave them as they are. That's a pair, right? I wouldn't keep 2 males and 1 female together. Don't worry. Give the female a hiding place.

Bobby

Ill have to upgrade the baby jars soon then
smile.gif
Where do you get your peat? I cant find any without additives. They were in pairs in the tanks, so now I have a pair and anther tank with just the male.

Thanks for the info, as always!

Dustin

I buy half bushels of peat. Premier Peat from Canada is very good. Is there an organics nursery near you or even just an old fashioned nursery and not a big box store? They'd have pure peat moss.

Bobby

I think there is a local gardening center around here somewhere. Ill check it out. half bushel - thats quite a bit isnt it? haha I guess you dont have to buy often that way.

Bobby - we talked about nezi Swords - and today I was looking at the "pair" I have and noticed the female is starting to develope a sword - is that normal? I took a pic to show you what I mean.

nezi.jpg

I hope its not another male haha - Thanks!

Hi M,

That's a male. He should be a nice one. Was he an Ocampo location from Rich Serva? If so, that was my strain as I sent them to Rich two years ago. I kept the unspotted strain as the body is sky blue and the fins have deeper color. Check with Rich Serva in the ALA for more stock. It could be the El Salto population though. It too is spotted. Nezzie swords are my favorite livebearer. I love the big husky blue and yellow males zipping around. They are cute, hardy and friendly. Monties are classier but high strung and not nearly as much fun as nezzies.

Bobby

Nope those were from a guy from Wisconsin I think - Got them at the convention. Does Joe have that strain? Since it took so long to sex out as a male, it should be a better male? Bigger more color, or just a better fry producer?

SO you like the nezzies more then the monties? Arent the monties more eligant?

Hi M,

Yes, he should be a great male and breeder. Monties are more elegant but nezzies are fun and comical and very active and strong. Nezzies also have better color -- at least the unspotted ones I have do -- blue bodies and yellow fins.
I think that Wisconsin guy advertises on aquabid. Keep an eye peeled. I bet they are Ocampo location from Rich Serva who got them from me.
Bobby

Any idea on the username of that guy on aquabid? Any reason you didnt keep the strain going?

Also - Update! We were talking before about Joe and I not getting our Beginner Guide from the AKA - This week I got the AKA Business Newsletter and it says on age 6 - "Also note, the new Beginnes Guide is now available. It will be sent to all new memebrs who have not yet received their new member packets (please contact me directly so i dont forget you) and will be made available to all other members at a cost of $8 plus $1 postage."

at the bottom it says to contact **** Martino - rm3857@juno.com -

So maybe we should do that Joe?

Dustin

Also , They are advertising "A World of Killies Vol 1 - 4" are these worth the $55 each?

Hi M,

The ocampo location was very nice but I ran out of room so I choose the unspotted strain as they have better color. I use to have X. nezahaulcoylt (3 populations), montezumae (3 populations), signum, clemencae, hi fin and hi fin lyretail swords, gordoni, couchianus, evelynae, helleri Jalapa location(spelling?), cortzei, xiphidium, monty x helleri hybrids and malinche. It was just too much!

I'm going to get a Beginner's Guide for sure. I was asked to do the Introduction but just never got to it.

The World of Killies are great books if you are really into killies. The keeping and breeding information is the weakest part of the book but the more scientific/species information is excellent. Vol 4 is very good -- mainly on Nothos. For information, old copies of JAKA that they sell would be better so I'd use the money for those. When I send the monties I'll copy a great resource for you.

Bobby

Sounds Great
smile.gif
I can see how you can run out of room fast
smile.gif

Back