What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fundulopanchax sjoestedti

Hi Guys,

Well, the gularis on the logo is a bit idealized but old strains came close to it. I think with some effort we could get alot better gularis today.

Nothos should sex out from 4-6 weeks.

Definitely hit garage sales for tanks. You can score.

The BNL is usaully a very trustworthy place to shop even without pics. I wonder about aquabid.

Egg production depends on so many things. Nothos are an unfair example as they are egg making machines. Aphyosemion make a lot less. Several females in annuals can increase production if you use peat but with plant spawners the extra girls can become egg eaters. The calabarica I have would produce more if I cleared out all the extras but I have enough so they can snack on eggs.

You should get a Beginners Guide when you join the AKA. I'd ask. I don't know how they are handling the new edition as I think it is a real neat little book.

I never did vinager eels but I did hear malt vinegar was good. I stick to bbs as it is easy, fast and smell free.

Bobby

Some update photos(its about time...)

DSCN0134.jpg

DSCN0138.jpg

DSCN0142.jpg

No.jpg

I'm thinking based on the thing about females having more pointed anal fins that this one is a female? The photos I think are all of one of the juvies(the larger one). Kind of odd in that this one used to be significantly smalelr than the other and later caught up. They are always neck to neck as far as size and squabble regularly.

WOW THOSE GROW FAST!
smile_n_32.gif

I emailed the AKA and never got a reply about the beginners book... that was after I joined so I assumed it was a thing of the past.

Dustin

Hi,

That's a girl. Show the other one.

The Beginner's Guide should come with membership. When did you join? It may be they are holding off as tghey are introducing the new one at the convention and will send it to people then who have recently joined. I'd contact Peter Tirbak the chairman for the best answer.

Bobby

Hi,

Hey, if you want to see descendents of my old hi fin and lyretail sword line go the Goliad Farms webpage <http://www.goliadfarms.com/pages/fish/livebear/swords/redwghf.htm>. Look at the redwag hi fin swordtail page and the redwag lyretail swordtail page and brick redwag hi fin lyretail page. Mine were larger but that male redwag hi fin has the kind of long wide full dorsals they all had and they all show the wide clean lyretails -- which get even longer and more dramatic with age. I just got a few of the reds back from this man in exchange for velifera and petenensis -- now kykesis -- and he is bringing mme some green hi fins he says really have the stuff of my old ones. I have my old swords back. I want to see if I can get the super size and fins back. He is also bringing me some moina daphnia that he says is fantastic. It has replaced bbs for him it is so prolific. And I have to move! Ugh. Well, I least I got the mollies and the Phalloceros in good hands. He has great livebearers and his 2 locations of wild caught latipinna Dustin are nice.

Bobby

Wow-that really is an impressive strain! Dunno how high your standards are but the fish shown is better than what I've seen so far at LFS and trumps or equals photos in books or online. This guy also seems to have lots of rainbows available as well. Let me know when the greens arrive. You must be really happy about this considering how much you've been kicking yourself over giving up on them.
smile.gif
Even the female looks nice. Do/did any of your green helleri have spotting? My two favorite colors would be green and the red and black ones(messed up tuxedo swords). Wonder how hard it would be to try to produce those "tiger" fry again.

I haven't received my beginners guide either but I think Bobby is probably correct on why.

I've heard moina is really good and that the babies are 1/2 the size of BBS nauplii. Seems like a good idea now that cysts are becoming more expensive. I'm betting the 2 sunfish species here would love these guys.

Based on anal fin shape it looks like I have 2 females of the kafuensis. This population does not seem very common(seems everyone is keeping the new Mambova pop.) so I might have to rewet the peat and hope for a male or two on the next round. It would be nice if someone happened to have extras males of this one.

Someone mentions that N. kafuensis has a tendency to produce late blooming males. Does the pointed anal fin assure a female?

I should be getting the Chromaphyosemion plan off the ground in the next couple weeks. Keeping fingers crossed.

All the Best

~Joseph

Those fish shown are nice! You dropped the strain for room you said?

I bet thats the deal on the begginners guide, jsut wish they would have told us instead of avoiding the email.

Ok - I missed a few posts in here due to lack of availabel time to read back... but you were talking about belly sliders a few weeks ago and wondering if oxygen in the bag had somethig to do with it. -- I had to tell you that story, so I could tell you this one....

I was reading in Ed Warners 1977 "Killifish" and he explains bellysliders are caused by the fry being unable to get to the top of the water and take a gulp of air after being hatched... Thats why he suggests using a plastic tub with a 3 or 4 ft surface area and only 2 to 2.5 inches of water.

Any thoughts? IS that outdated info?

Hope all is well!

Dustin

I believe this info is outdated. From what I heard killifish do not have a connection to the swim bladder via the mouth so the swim bladder is filled by O2 from the blood.

I have just realized the kafuensis are now 5 weeks old. They both still look like females. Someone on killitalk and killies.com forums(Tgenade) claims that kafuensis cannot be sexed the normal way until 8 weeks due to the prospensity for late bloomer males(I think he kept the 'Kayuni' ZAM 97/1). Dunno how similar mine will be or how much different they are from the Mambova you've had experience with.

If they are too females-they are being quite aggresive with each other. Flaring and fin spreading like what you would expect from male nothos. I do remember the female KAF you sent me flared at the H. formosa in the tank so perhaps these two are bored and have nothing better to do...LOL

I checked the bag of peat and it appears I still have a few eggs left(a few of them were still clear!).

Lastly-how does this compare to your velifera? This one looks almost top heavy! LOL
http://www.israquarium.co.il/FishPhoto/Poecilia%20velifera.jpg

As for the kafuensis, they are growing well but are no longer changing dramatically as far as shape goes. 5 week mark. They spend most of the time on opposite sides of the tank due to fighting. I've been feeding blackworms, frozen bloodworms, and recently tried gammarus(they absolutely loved these).

DSCN0208.jpg

Ok -

Riddle me this .....

Last night I come home - rinse the black worms feed a small amount of black worms to the larger fish (first time in 4 days) and brine shrimp flakes......... 24 hours later I come down to feed flakes and my PRIZED BLUE HELLERI are all dead... and they arent just dead THEY ARE FUNGUS BALLS! and I dont mean they are kind of white around the gills i mean they are ingulfed! AND A very expensive HUGE High Fin Lyer Tail Sword is dead.....

So lets recap - since getting these black worms (funny before i had 0 death tole)... I have lost .......

All My Illyodon Amacae (Rio Amaca)
All My BLUE Helleri
1 - Lyer Tail Sail Fin Sword
ALL My X Captivus
1 - Male Gold Top Minnow
1 - Gold Lyer Tail Molly
1 Pair Nice High Fin Brick Swords...
and 1 X Variatus Blue Parrot..................................

I never had this problem before - what the heck can it be? Could be be the black worms? I am so upset..... Massive deaths
smile_h_32.gif

Please HELP!

Thanks Guys

Dustin

Yikes...very sorry to hear this
smile_o_32.gif

Here's the info I've gotten so far.

You said earlier you though it was "belly blowout" as the fish then had bloated and died. I think what happened to the blue helleri is a different problem if it manifested itself differently(the fungus could have gotten the fish after they died esp. if you have your tanks at high temperatures). Have you done any water tests?(ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, and hardness would be what I would look at). In any case I would stop using blackworms and see what happens.

Additional information on how many fish, temperature any symptoms, and anything else you think useful that I may have missed. Hopefully the info you can give will help us narrow this down. Looking around for more opinions is always helpful also.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I hope you/we can get to this solved. We've all had a share of problems.
~Joseph

Temp is in the mid to high 70's they all vary i havent had time to mess with the temps... set them all to about 75 and left em there.

Thanks

For your goodeids I would see if perhaps you could put them a tad lower. Most peopler say they prefer low 70's. Again-get in contact with the people you got the fish from as they know far more than I ever would.

How many fish per tanks of what size?

Well there are like 4 to 6 fish per tank... 10's and 29s... sponge filters for 40 and 80 gal aquariums (i bought oversized so this wouldnt be a problem)
smile_h_32.gif
Ill lower the temps a little then..... could that stress them to death?

confused.gif

(this is going to be several posts.. since I guess there is a limit to how much I can post at any time...)

Ok - Since Joeseph has been riding my butt for pics (kidding ;) ) - here are some pics the fish I picked up at the ALA convention....

First off - Stjoestedti - i had 12 - now i only see 2
smile_h_32.gif
(not happy)  AND YIKES it took 8 trys and about 30 mins to come up with this picture!  What do you think?
smile.gif

stjoes.jpg

Gold Het -
gold_het.jpg

Goodea Gracilis (not the best pic, i have a thin layer of black paint overspray on some of the tanks, so ill have to get that off to get better pics...)
gracilis1.jpg

Illyodon Furcidens
furcidens1.jpg

furcidens2.jpg

furcidens3.jpg

Melanota Enia Trifasciata - Coen River
Enia.jpg

Enia2.jpg

Endlers
endler2.jpg

X. Eiseini (sp?)
eisini.jpg

eisini2.jpg

Melontaenia Splendida Rubrushiata
RAINBOW1.jpg

Skiffia (Neotoca) Bilineata (Elfin) (thats how the bag was labeled, so im not sure if I have two species or if thats one.. someone set me straight ;) (THESE WERE NOT CHEAP)
skiffia.jpg

skiffia3.jpg

Darter Goodied (Allodontichthys Tamazular - Rio Tamazula)
DarterGoodied1.jpg

Zoo. Tequila
ztequila.jpg

Illyodon Whitie - Rio Huamito Preservation Center
These are NOT shy at all! Which is the exact opposite of their neighbors, Illyodon Toweri (bluetails) - They hide in the back so well I can hardly see them swimming around back there, let alone get a shot!
whitie1.jpg

whitie2.jpg

And this last pic if suppost to be of more Whitie - however i had the flash off and it gave a nice reflection of part of the other rack, which i thought was nice ;) so here it is as well..
reflection.jpg

Ive got a few pics of the dead fish, hopefully you guys can get a hint from these.. Ill post them as a new thread - since its WAY off topic (kind of) ;)

Ok Ok - So I told Joe to keep reminding me for pics ;) Hope I didnt kill anyones modem ;) More to come if your interested.. Thats only about half of what I picked up at the convention.

Dustin

P.S. - IF there is a rule about so many pics - let me know and ill delete the post. Thanks:cool:

Awesome set of photos Maylandi!

That SJO fry is looking quite nice. Doesn't look at all what I envisioned them to look like though. I can't decide what gender it is either.

Zoo. tequila I bet will be gorgeous when it gets bigger!

The Llyodon are quite nice, particularly the furcidens photos. You got a nice strain of Endlers.

The rainbow shots are awesome! Gold het is very interesting looking. All the black has been eliminated but it still shows the red pigment.

Darter goodeid is a pretty cute fish in that photo-assuming it is a female?

I'm pretty sure the Goodea gracilis is a male.
smile.gif

~Joseph

Also, I rewetted the N. kafuensis and now have yet another small group of fry(seems like the # I'm getting is staying the same...I expected the first hatches would be big and would gradually peter off...instead the 2nd and the 3rd seem to have yielded about the same number of fry). I have them in a sweater box as of now.

Yeah thats the female darter goodea
smile.gif

Unsure about the Gracilis though - Male or Female Im not sure.

Im hoping i have a pair left - seems i have 2 left out of 12 - where did the other 10 go over the last seven days? I swear to god something is eating fish down there!
smile_h_32.gif

I think its a pair becuase one is larger with more color and one is smaller bodied with less color - but they are both still qutie small. And Im a rookie when it comes to killies - still ;)

Hope all is well - Thanks for the good words on teh photos ;) If my luck turns and I can get these things going again - Ill send some your way.

If anyone has najas - or like plants I could use em here
smile.gif

Thanks

Dustin

Hey Guys - Where did you go?  Bobby?  You still around?  Or is moving taking all your time?

Thought I would update with a pic of the Sailfins - they are growing well IMO - let me know if im misinformed.

sailfins.jpg

Hope all is well --

Dustin

Dustin,

Honestly they look good but on the small side. it's hard to be sure from a photo. They look to be an inch or so? I have velifera and petenensis (kykesis) the same age that are larger. Feed alot of bbs once or better twice a day and at least one more feeding of something else good. Decapped bs eggs from brineshrimpdirect.com are a great cheap substitite at that size for one of the live bbs feedings. Maybe make a beef heart mix for growth. 2-4 feedings daily and weekly big water changes. Get them in a 30 gallon.

Bobby

Back