What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fresh Coffee seeds from El Salvador

Hi There,

Just up the street from me, a half mile or so is a place called What's Brewing. They moved in perhaps a decade ago and have been in operation ever since. I like to get coffee from them as it was usually roasted that day or within the last two to three. Hearing that it is possible to grow your own plants from seed if it is green, I asked them for some seeds yesterday and got a batch. From El Salvador, don't know the variety though most websites say most of the plants there are Bourbons, ? and that 80% of those grown are shade grown and 90% of their forests are involved in coffee production. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...BMMPspww2whQbfGKQ&sig2=efaDFdxrpW-arPaYyhT2LQ
Another source said that the beans from the plants originally from Arabia were either roasted or boiled to prevent others from growing it, and supposedly smuggling viable seeds out was punishable by death. Same, they say, as long ago in Italy if a glassmaker tried to leave Murano. Though in that case, they were trying to prevent the escape of the knowledge, so the craftsman would be offed.

Anyway, the seeds I got look like this, and so far as I know are not boiled and certainly not roasted.
IMGP8021.jpg

IMGP8023.jpg

I also noticed an unnamed plant on my patio from an exchange looks suspiciously like coffee, and I kind of doubt it, but who knows? Several years ago I went to the local botanical gardens when they put up a bunch of new huge grow areas - multi level like big stylized rounded green houses and in a lower level of one there was a coffee plant that looked really peaked. So I always thought why bother if the gardens could not do it right? But maybe that was wrong, or an unadaptable plant or whatever. Come to think of it, a couple of weeks ago at a large local nursery I did see some coffee plants about three foot tall.

I was thinking I might send some of these out should folks be interested. I think a SASE with two stamps to cover the thickness penalty, perhaps a bit more if you want to get yours in a bubble wrap pack. Five seeds per, perhaps ten of those. A reference said the time honored way of plantations is to plant twenty seeds per hole, and that gives a 50% mortality rate. My guess would be planting those individually would reduce that a bunch. Assuming of course they are viable.:) If fewer people respond, I can up that some. Priority given to the five or six people who participated in my last giveaway and did not win. So if that is you and you want some, sing out. All depending, I may be able to get other varities, personally I prefer Ethopian harrar, and they keep and roast several varities, so if any particular variety and/or locale interests you let me know.

If interested in these seeds, post here in a list one - ten and send me an email to gnixon@satx.rr.com for my mailing address.

Ciao!

If you want to ID your plant just post it, I was around coffee plantations for 1.5 months :p

I would be very interested in having a coffee plant growing, something quite different! Thanks for the generosity!
1. vbkid

2.catrus

Pearl just wondering if there's still a chance 3. Hazedshaman. Btw the cutting you sent me are doing great thanks alot again

Last edited:
I used this resource to help me with the cultivation on my pre-germinated plants, they are doing great using the advice on this website:

http://www.coffeeresearch.org/coffee/homegrowing.htm

These are fun to grow! I have them in the same soil mix as most of my Neps, but with a topdressing of coco chunks... It will be a couple years before I get beans though...

Here's the plant. Can't remember where I got it or from whom, and it was unlabeled. What do you think Carnivore 12?
IMGP8101.jpg

And just for the halibut, say hello to my little Byblis!
IMGP8102.jpg

It does look like a coffe plant to me, as it gets older the leaves should become more scalloped if you know what I mean . . .

Back