What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free educational CP program

Houstonherp

Send in the Clones
I just thought I would let everyone know that I will be doing a free CP program at Jesse H. Jones Park & Nature Center, just north of Houston, this coming Saturday morning at 10 a.m.

I will have a short PowerPoint program, followed by some show and tell with many of my plants. This is an excellent program for beginners, or anyone in the Houston area who shares our interest in carnivorous plants.

And for those who are not overly familiar with the North American Sarracenia Conservancy, I will be discussing the role of the NASC, and my role as the head grower. Those who stick around afterward just might get to take a tour of the greenhouse as well...

Directions to the park can be found on the JJP web site at www.hcp4.net/jones. Please address any questions to me via e-mail (houstonherp@aol.com), as I don't always check the TF threads or my PMs on a regular basis.

Good growing!

Sure wish I could attend, but geography isn't on my side.

Thanks a lot for doing this! Great PR for NASC and it's always good to hear about one of our members spreading the bug and making people aware of CPs.
smile.gif

Glad to do so, of course. I even added a few slides of NASC info to the end of the PowerPoint!

What a shame, Est...you just need to move south...LOL!

Good Growing all!

Hi Joe -

The program went well, and I had about 50 in attendance. Not bad, although previous programs have drawn more visitors. I'll try to post some pics in the near future, especially since I brought out Audrey, my 4+ foot diameter N. bicalcarata for all to see. It's amazing how easy it is to take newbies' minds off of VFTs when you have a plant like that!

Good Growing,

Mike

Oh...I forgot to mention that not all was good that morning...

Since the group was not overly large, I Decided to take them up to the park's greenhouse, to show them more CPs, AND to let them see all of the location-specific Sarracenia seedlings that are being grown out to share with the NASC. HOWEVER, when we went in, I noticed that sometime between 4:30 p.m. on Friday and 10 a.m. Saturday morning, someone went into the greenhouse and cut off about four feet of my N. x hookeriana! Little do theuy know that this is considered stealing from a government facility, and this will niot be taken lightly...

Chop them up and feed 'em to my plants, I say!

The bad part is that I was planning on turning that one leggy vine into a whole bunch of cuttings for sharing with the CP community, and now it's gone. I don't know who did it, but that's a really crappy thing to do.

Anyway, good growing all.

Mike

That does suck.
Is it possible it was somebody who had been in there before?

mad.gif

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe -

I would have to say that it was definitely someone who had been in there before, or they would have no reason to mess with that SPECIFIC plant. The fact that it was a sharp cut to a single vine of a single plant leads me to believe that it was someone who is familiar with CPs in general, and Nepenthes in particular.

The plant (a male N. x hookeriana) is not a rare one by any means, but it's priceless as far as I'M concerned. It is one of the first Neps that I received when I became interested in CPs, and was sent to me for postage by Dr. Malouf. I have tried to carry on his legacy by making cuttings from this plant and giving them away when they root. But this was the vine that was going to the chopping block this year; so now I will be hard-pressed for cuttings.

The GOOD thing is that this has helped the powers that be to hear my case for surveillance cameras, and they will be installed in the VERY near future. There's nothing like putting someone on CAMERA to dissuade them from breaking the law, especially when this is actually stealing from a government facility!

Good Growing,

Mike

Back