What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering ping ID?

Dante1709

Nepenthes newbie
IMG_1913 by Dante1709, on Flickr

I recently bought this Pinguicula at an orchid show ; I assumed it was moranensis but the vendor informed me that he did indeed own moranensis, and the particular plant being sold wasn't labeled as it. I'm curious to see what type of ping it is (Mexican, temperate..etc) and the care for the species.

It was potted in pure LFS when I received it, but I repotted in a 3:1 of LFS and lava rock after receiving it. Is this good, or would I need better drainage or more alkaline conditions?

It's definitely a Mexican Pinguicula. Do you have a pic of the foliage ? Did this plant have any label at all when you bought it ?

I grow all my Mexican Pinguicula in pure Turface but, your mix should work ok. I would incorporate more lava rock though.

I didn't receive it with any tag whatsoever, but here's a photo of the leaves.
IMG_1948 by Dante1709, on Flickr
The leaves are pale/bright green, thin, messy and some of them have dents. I hope that this is normal or shock from repotting, and not anything too serious.

Can it possibly be P. 'Weser'?

Last edited by a moderator:
P. 'Weser' is a rather rare plant in reality, it's not likely to be that hybrid/cultivar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with hcarlton, that it isn't Pinguicula 'Weser'. It appears to simply be a very attractive form of Pinguicula moranensis, which is a species that is quite variable in foliage and flower. Though the flower is very distinctive, perhaps someone has singled it out for mass propagation, and it could have an informal name it's known by. Your plant's flower seems quite well formed, with unique and distinctive patterns and markings, yet it may not have received distinct recognition, before now.

I'd check the standard images of registered Pinguicula cultivars, first. Though I've recently looked through it, and didn't see one resembling your flower. Then I'd look through the Pinguicula section of the CP Photofinder, to see if there is a flower linked there that matches your flower. The foliage isn't very helpful, most cases, in identifying Mexican/equitorial Pinguicula, since so many have similar foliage, that varies greatly due to simple environmental differences. There are exceptions, however, especially for species that have distinctive foliage, such as Pinguicula gypsicola, Pinguicula medusina, Pinguicula filifolia, or Pinguicula moctezumae, among others.

Yes, the characteristics of the foliage, you describe for your plant, is very common, especially for forms of the species Pinguicula moranensis, though it can be similar in other species, as well.

Last edited:
Back