What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fish fladulence

• Thread starter uphwiz
  • Start date

uphwiz

jimmy
wondering if my fan tail gold fish has gas ,
after he/she feeds in the evening (and he/she is a pig) it skims the surface constantly looking for food , and by the time i go to bed , its stomach looks like its about twice the size, and it has trouble swimming properly, by the next morning , its back to normal .
I dont hear any thing extrordinary in the night LOL so what's up?
do fish like these pass gas:-))?
Anyone?

Is it swimming in a downward motion like it's being pulled to the surface?

yea till the next morning then its fine , and the stomach is back down as well.
i know they can get an infection in the bladder they use for floating/ swimming upright, but does it come and go .
hence the release of the gas

wow i know a fish vet i can ask her :D

That's an issue with the swim bladder. It's quite common.

What's happening is when the fish is going to the surface of the water to get the food you sprinkled, it's taking in air with every gulp of food. My fish used to do this as well.

The way around it is to take a small plastic cup, put some tank water in it, sprinkle some food into the cup and let it sit for a minute or two to saturate, then pour the contents of the cup into the tank. This will stop your fish from going to the surface of the water to get food.

Good luck!

Yellowdart said what I was about to.

FWIW, fish DO get gas, and burp, too. I had a Pleco that would get into the tubifex worms, then fart the rest of the day. I SAW the bubbles! I also saw a goldfish that was in a ridiculously small bowl. The poor thing was sooo bored, it would go to the surface, swallow some air, dive to the bottom and burp it out. The bowl was shaped just right, and that little "burp" would make the bowl ring "PINK!". I could hear it across the room.

de-shelled green peas make excellent laxatives for goldfish. you might have to hand feed them it if it has problems swimming to get the food.

i tried wetting and pouring the flakes, and tiger seemed to not skim the surface as much this evening maybe if i do this for a while it he/she will learn better eating habits .
thanks everyone, and you especially yellowdart

i tried wetting and pouring the flakes, and tiger seemed to not skim the surface as much this evening maybe if i do this for a while it he/she will learn better eating habits .
thanks everyone, and you especially yellowdart

No problem! Glad I could help.

Like you suggested, the fish will eventually understand it's routine for the food to be delivered this way and won't go to the surface anymore.

Back