What's new

First planted tank!

I've started my first ever planted tank. I recently got rid of my 55 gallon, so this is just made of a ten gallon I had lying around. A member here on the forums was generous enough to send me several plants to start up. It's a dirt bottom tank with the LED equivalent of 40 watts of light. I'm currently in the process of rigging up some DIY co2 as I think my light is a little excessive for a low tech. I'm still new at this so any advice/comments are greatly welcome:-D

In there I have a somewhat unidentified grass, sagittarius, java fern, wisteria, hornwort floatring, and a banana plant cutting. There's also a couple of parrot feather cuttings but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with those yet.

20140908_223652.jpg

I've actually been able to spot visible growth for the past couple of days. Also I'm going to remove the in tank filter and install a canister filter next week.

It's an aquatic plant called a "banana plant" because the form of it's roots resembles a bunch of bananas.

Nymphoides aquatica
p-330026-Banana-Plant.jpg

Monkey,
I can't see the photo of your tank.

Last edited:
You should get some Utricularia graminifolia in there. It forms a nice grassy carpet in planted tank and gives you the obligatory carnivore.

DragonsEye

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite!
55gal tanks make a nice size for mini orchids. :D

Tank looks nice so far. Will there later be "wild life"?