What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First attempt at underwater photography!

A couple days ago my friend picked up an underwater dispoable camera to try out in the lake.

Under water photography is tough! :0o:

Here are some of the ones that came out alright: (most taken and edited by Fadil, a few by me)

ta-laps.jpg

A couple big Talapia!

rc2.jpg

This place we dubbed "Root city" back in the day for reasons not really seen in the photo.

rc.jpg

A couple Large Mouth Bass hanging out at Root City, keeping an eye on the Brim and Talapia!

pbass.jpg

A big Peacock bass lurking in the depths!

pbass2.jpg

This big peacock was hanging around the car at the bottom of the lake! I managed to snap this photo right before he bolted.

brim.jpg

A school of brim in the shallows.

flats.jpg

A couple of baby large mouths and a brim doin' their thing!

Not too bad for some amateurs and a $10 disposable.

My friend picked up a reusable cam afterwards, hopefully that one will have a little better quality!

Hope you enjoyed the underwater lake tour! :cool:

Fantastic!!!! We bought a water housing for our digital. I agree, that's pretty good for a disposible! Nice shots of the Talapias.

I've always loved underwater pictures, even if only from a disposable camera. Very nice. There is true beauty in the depths of the sea.

xvart.

Nice photos but Talapia and Peacock bass are not native to the U.S. Where did you take these pics. I am guessing Florida.

Yep, right in my backyard.

Its an artificial lake though. It used to be a rock quarry or a place to dump appliances or something like that. You'd never know by looking at it though! The water is crystal clear(except recently due to the water rising about 4 and a half feet from it raining everyday for 3 weeks) and aquatic life is abundant!

I have seen peacock bass in a canal down here in Miami so it has been introduced to more natural areas.

Great pictures! The second one looks like a painting!

Has all that rain been local or is the rest of the state also getting some help with the drought? I was in Sebring a few weeks ago and the lake was way down.

those are neat! i would have never though to go and do such a thing.

how were you able to get decent lighting?

that is so cool to see! About what size fishies are we looking at here? little 2-5" things?

those bass are alot bigger than 2-5"

Glad you guys like them!

I don't know about the rest of Florida, but the rain is finally starting to slow down here. Only a few showers in the last 2 days.

As for the lighting, we went out on one of the sunnier days. No flash involved. Ended up getting a minor sunburn! :p

For size I'd say the brim are somewhere in the 3-4" range, those big talapias were around 7-8", the large mouths were probably around a foot and the big peacocks had to be at least a foot and a half! The peacocks are the biggest thing in there with the exception of the spotted catfish but we haven't seen any catfish in 10 years. I've got no idea what happened to the catfish, just seemed to disappear one day.

Heres a huge peacock I caught in the lake last year, just to give an idea of the size. Don't worry fish sympathizers, he was released. I don't eat freshwater fish! ;)

peacockbass.jpg

looks like you need more light down there :)

Quite the contrary.

Any excess of darkness in the photos was a result of editing. The problem was most of them turned out too light!

Nice underwater photos! That is cool. :)

keeping an eye on the Brim

FYI...its spelled "bream". I don't think I have ever seen anyone spell it right. lol

I think YOU need a belt xvart!

How much do underwater housings cost for Cameras?

It's cool how it's tail is bicolor.

Back