What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally! My Drosophyllum germination success story (and updates!)

Me three...thrice!

How do you guys keep the seedlings going? I used to think that they need lower humidity and less water but apparently, I killed each one with under-watering. :0o:

I haven't got the time to try again since. :-(

Inspired by this thread I sowed about 30 Drosophyllum seed a month ago. I scarified half and and soaked all them overnight. A week after sowing I also soaked the mix in smoke water. That is water soaked in ash from twigs and leaves and dryed ferns I had burnt. A knowledgable friend suggested this and a week later the first seed germinated a week after that a secound.
Each seedling was transfered to a slack pot where they are slowly growing now.
Its mid autumn here now so everything is slow but Im hoping more will germinate eventually. Still if I can get the two seedlings to survive, two plants will be enough to keep me very happy.
Now is the hard balancing act of enough water but not too much.

Adnedarn I would love to see a pic of how your plants are now I bet they are huge?

nelsonlakes10059.jpg

How did you produce the smoke water?

Good job! So how many sprouts do you have so far out of 30??

Sure, I can provide an update :) I think I mentioned one of the two I moved to separate pots was not doing well.. it finally kicked the bucket about a week ago. I kept trying more water and less water to see what it wanted but it never did anything. The other 4 are doing great though! My tallest one is just over 5" while the other two are just over 4" (The ones on the second shelf are the larger ones, they are a bit cooler from being in front of the cooler as well as in less strong. So who knows the exact reason they're bigger....)
Enjoy!
Andrew

IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

Jimscott: I collected a whole lot of dead dyed up leaves from my garden and burnt them in pot poured water on them once it had burnt down poured off the water and sieved it leaveing a nasty black water which I poured slowly onto the mix.
Only 2 so far which is not great but its only been 1 month so maybe more will come soon. Both were scarified.
Its been really cold recently though so maybe it just too cold for them to germinate.
Thanks for posting your pics so fast :)
Your plants are looking amazing I really hope I get some that big and healthy. They are obviously catching there own food well. Clearly they like it cool and well ventilated as well.

Could you provide an update please Andrew?

Alright, 4 months and a request later I'll go ahead and give an update. The two plants on the top shelf are still smaller and stand at about 6" tall. The plants on the second shelf, which are in the draft of the cooler are larger plants but I believe this is due to lower light levels and not more content plants. When you look at the stalk of the plants you can clearly see the plants on the top shelf are compact as they should be and the plants on the second shelf show spacing between each new leaf indicating etiolation/lack of appropriate light (imo) feel free to chime in on that.
That being said, all plants are doing great and the smell they release is really strong, easily the strongest thing in the greenhouses. I have moved the two from the second shelf onto the top shelf and will begin a new test as of today. I will continue to water 3 plants as I always have (add an inch or two of water to the tray when it dries out for a few days) and the other I'm going to try and keep at least some water in the tray at all times. I'll try to monitor this plant closely though in case it decides to decline. I'm contemplating instead using that plant as a test for outside.... Which would you rather see? :D And now... pictures!

Top shelf plants

IMG_1391.JPG

Top shelf plant stalk

IMG_1395.JPG

Lower shelf plants

IMG_1390.JPG

Lower shelf plant stalk

IMG_1393.JPG

Andrew

They need more light.

I agree, they need a LOT more light Andrew. The leaf nodes should be very tight together; not so far apart as in your last photo.

Dunno. can be too tight maybe.
DSC_00040001_12.jpg

all dormant lateral buds seem to be sprouting......

Woah...lol

*major drool*

Tight is good. Nice plant.

Just thought I'd throw a pic of my plant in the thread that I took today.

CPs-023.jpg

Looks good! Mayhaps I'll get some current pics of mine. =-)

Congratulations guys!!! I hate you all. I could never grow one not to save my life. I couldn't even germinate the seed:blush:

I can germinate them (all 3 of them). I also kill them days / weeks later!

The seed seems to germinate best for me when put outside in half sun. The plant just loves light all around!

Hey Tamlin, if all goes well.. I'll keep you in mind for seed ;)

Here is a current picture, the one on the left I'm basically keeping in water all the time. The two on the left are the ones that were on the second shelf, they did not get smaller once getting pulled up to top shelf, and the tow in the one pot on the right, are still keeping their small size.
Andrew

IMG_1659.JPG

Back