What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EP's Spectabilis x (Lowii x Ventricosa)

When I first received this plant I wasn't all that impressed but I figured it would get better with time. It turns out I was right and EP never fails. I thought it looked very similar to Spectabilis x Ventricosa when I first received it, but the newest pitcher has become a darker red and the mouth seems to be growing like Lowii. I will be so stoked if this thing continues to take on more Lowii characteristics as it ages, while maintaining Spectabilis' coloration.

Upon Arrival:
SpecxLowiixVentPitcherArrival.jpg

Opening up (still doesn't look like much):
SpecxxLowxVentUnopened.jpg

Opened:
SpecxxLowxVentPitcher2.jpg

SpecxxLowxVentPitcher.jpg

SpecxxLowxVentPitcher3.jpg

The Whole Plant (still just a baby):
SpecxxLowxVentPlant.jpg

Daniel

Wow, nice plant.:0o: Is it an easy grower?

Great looking plant. Any hair appendages underneath the lid?

xvart.

Nice plant Daniel! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Thanks guys :). It actually is quite an easy plant, and I think this may be in part due to the ventricosa in it. I have had some variable heat fluctuations in the past month or so and the plant doesn't seem stressed at all. Unfortunately there is no hair appendages yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Daniel

Unfortunately there is no hair appendages yet, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Daniel - hairs really would be the icing on that fantastic cake.

xvart.

Wooo~ excellent nepenthes! Great~
Colorful lip, Huge pitcher, Deep red pitcher...
Oh! I can hardly resist.
Thanks for your sharing, my friend.:-D

Hey Daniel. good growing. Any updates? I'm starting to get back into the swing of things here. Mine kinda languished the past year, but here they are now:
I've got one that's tan and red:
P1090682.jpg

and a darker red one:
P1090674.jpg

but I'm thinking this little skinny one shows the most promise:
P1090688.jpg

Did you pick up any of the other crosses with (lowii x ventricosa)?

Wow, beautiful plants!

Beautiful plants Steve :). Glad to see you back on here. I just got my aluminet today, and I was going to head to the greenhouse to put it up on Sunday. I'll grab some pics of the Spectabilis (Lowii x Ventricosa) plants while i'm there. The only other crosses I have with (Lowii x Ventricosa) are (Spathulata x Aristolochioides) and Ventircosa (red) i believe. Anywho, I look forward to seeing more posts from you, and I'll definitely try to get those pics up as soon as possible.

Daniel

This is a nice cross, but it looks a little too much much like plain old spectabilis x ventricosa to me.

Still very beautiful! Nice growing guys.

We'll have to post some more mature pitchers and see if you still think the same thing.

Those ventricosa x (lowii x ventricosa) are just ridiculous. I'm hoping when my plants mature, they look like that!

The spathulata x (lowii x ventricosa) is one of the plainer looking pitchers in that thread, go figure.

A new batch of pitchers and these are starting to show the variation I was hoping for.
The narrow pitcher form:
P1100282.jpg

The squat pitcher form:
P1100279.jpg

The green pitcher with a round mouth form:
P1100280.jpg

I'm looking forward to more variation as these mature.

That green form is incredible! Definitely my favorite of the group.

Jason

Just a quick update on these as I was repotting them:
P1110226.jpg

With teeth like this, that green form is growing on me:
P1110227.jpg

Back