What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Eden Black" -- F1

How are the ex vitro looking?

Would love to see an update of you have time.

I was fortunate enough to get an "alpha" plant of David's. Great plants indeed!

im sure they look even better in person! maybe luck will follow me during the auction. i would love to add some eden heratige to my collection.

Anyone here managed to mature one of these to adult pitchers yet? I will be interested to see if anyone achieves colouration similar to the parent plant shown in the cultivar publication.

Last edited:
Eight clones were developed from 2012-germinated seed. Five of that number responded well to micropropagation, while three stubbornly remained in a callus stage, regardless of every threat that I made. Frankly, there hasn't been sufficient time for adult plants to be produced . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" "Beta Clone" 26 November

From the discussion on the very first batch of seed that Stephen Morley released years ago it sounded like only 1 out of 10 or 20 showed any promise of significant color. I'm not aware of any follow ups on these.

There has also been discussion that micropropagated Cephalotus take longer to grow to maturity vs those from straight cuttings or seeds germinated "naturally".

There has also been discussion that micropropagated Cephalotus take longer to grow to maturity vs those from straight cuttings or seeds germinated "naturally".

I have found that to be quite the opposite; and most divisions that I have taken in the past, whether from a rhizome or leaf pull, have lagged far behind those same materials placed in vitro.

The Hummer's Giant that I "flasked" from a leaf last year, managed to fill most of a culture vessel with vegetation, requiring two transfers, due to crowding; while it's counterpart, taken at the same time, in moss, managed a few anemic roots.

The issue with the "selfed" seed variably exhibiting the trademark dark coloration has as much to do with the individual grower and to his or her cultivation practices, as much as it's genetics, in my opinion. I've seen examples of the plant itself, state-side, exhibiting little more color than many typical plants under direct sunlight . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Hummer's Giant" 14 February

The issue with the "selfed" seed variably exhibiting the trademark dark coloration has as much to do with the individual grower and to his or her cultivation practices, as much as it's genetics, in my opinion. I've seen examples of the plant itself, state-side, exhibiting little more color than many typical plants under direct sunlight . . .

I may have read this wrong but are you saying that there is true divisions of Eden black already in the US?

Stephen has been distributing 'Eden Black' for many years, so there are quite a large number of growers in the EU. It would therefore stand to reason that it would eventually reach the USA - in much the same way as "Big Boy" has.

I may have read this wrong but are you saying that there is true divisions of Eden black already in the US?

Yes, there are existing plants within the US, and at least two attempts to tissue culture it from leaves and rhizomes . . .

Bigbella, whatcha hiding in the back room?

I hear an evil laugh Mommy, "Muahahahaha...".

I'm scared, the cute furry animal is coming to get me! I don't want to be in a jar!

Last edited:
Stephen has been distributing 'Eden Black' for many years, so there are quite a large number of growers in the EU. It would therefore stand to reason that it would eventually reach the USA - in much the same way as "Big Boy" has.

I've always heard the the rumors but never from a trusted source. I believe it now. How do you gentlemen label the seed grown plants in the UK? It seems like there are more seed grown plants floating around over there and im wondering how do you keep the divisions from Eden Black plant from getting crossed with the seed plants? Things can get muddled quickly unless people are labeling correctly.

Yes, there are existing plants within the US, and at least two attempts to tissue culture it from leaves and rhizomes . . .

thanks for the info! I hope the word "attempt" doesnt mean they failed. I would love to see these offered in the near future.

How do you gentlemen label the seed grown plants in the UK? It seems like there are more seed grown plants floating around over there and im wondering how do you keep the divisions from Eden Black plant from getting crossed with the seed plants? Things can get muddled quickly unless people are labeling correctly.

Those seed-grown plants are labeled, "Eden Black x Self," if the grower is reputable; and more than a few have been sold in the UK . . .

Those seed-grown plants are labeled, "Eden Black x Self," if the grower is reputable; and more than a few have been sold in the UK . . .

agreed.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll quick hi-jacking your thread and wait for the auctions! I cant wait to go after one of these!

agreed.

Thanks for answering my questions. I'll quick hi-jacking your thread and wait for the auctions! I cant wait to go after one of these!

No problem.

I hope to have three or more clones available in January-February; and to offer something for the 2014 NASC thingie . . .

bb1.jpg

"The most interesting man in Cp's" :hail:

( I will pay dearly for this... :angel: )

Last edited:
Yes. Yes, you will :-))

I'll help David start off :slap: :puke2::slap::puke2::slap:

Back