What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera gigantea  Anyone have a spare?

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone. I was just parusing Fleabay and came accross someone selling seeds to this plant. I have already bid on a couple other and this one is getting up in price. I was wondering if someone has a spare they were willing to trade or even some seed they wouldn't mind trading. At the moment all I have to offer is some orchids or N. ventrata cuttings. Let me know if we can work something out. Thanks

I'm also looking for one too.

Well FD I found seeds online but I have already bid on 2 or 3 other seed packs too and these were getting up there. So If we can;t find any then when I get a chance to order some seed I am sure I will have one for you after they germinate.

thank! but if it would be easier, whenever your plant set seed, you could just save some for whenever we have a trade agreed with for them.

I sowed some D. gigantea seed this year. I am heat stratifying them at the moment. Next month I will wet the soil they are in. Hopefully it will be cool enough here in Florida for them this fall and winter. The more I learn about the natural environment from which they come the less hopeful I am of their success here. However, if by some freak accident I am successful, I will definity share it with others.

I don't know what possessed me to attempt such a difficult species but....we will see.

Actually it isn't all that hard as tuberous Drosera go, and it's a very beautiful and rewarding species. Seed can be difficult to germinate, but it should happen as long as you get live seed. Finding a reliable source for seed would go far in that regard...most commrcial seed comes from Lowrie in Oz and it's hit or miss there, usually miss, in my experience, 'nuff said here 'bout that. I haven't had long term success with this species, but likely due to the so few sunny days here. Without a lot of energy the plants can't form the tuber needed to sustain the plant next season. But others might have a better chance. Getting a tuber will let you grow a nice plant first season, but unless the energy is there, it will return smaller and smaller. Since I am opposed to collecting wild material for resale, I won't deal with Lowrie, but others have had success with his tubers once they acclimate them to this hemisphere's seasons. Good luck with your quest!

D. gigantea might be able to take FL's more mild temps. One of mine only just went down a couple weeks ago and it has been outside on my deck since Feb so it got some seriously high heat.

Well, I ened up winning the seeds plus seed to 3 other tuberous drosrea I hope they are all viable seed. I got them from Kenni quala off of fleabay. Hopefully they will be here soon and I can go ahead and sow them. Thanks everyone for the info.

Take your time. Mine germinated after more than 5 years!!!
But i have some fine plants now. Can't get them to the USA though! Laws and all that
smile_h_32.gif

Oh boy. That's a long time. Best to sow and forget about them.

Hmmm I am sure there is ways to import plants, but it might not be worth the cost though.  Not yet anyways.

That was a long time to wait. I sure hope I don;t have to wait that long. Egads thats long.

5 years! Holy cow! That's an eternity. Oh I hope I don't have to wait that long. Man...

Well I am trying to follow the advice from the ICPS's seed germination for tuberous Drosera. Placing the seed on a sheet of printer paper, I lightly sanded the seed with 120 grit sand paper until I could see a little of the outer coating come off. The seed looked dull and, well, sanded after I got done. They have been sitting in dry soil since early August on my porch. It was good and hot. The weather is changing (slightly) now, so I am thinking October would be a good month to start wetting the soil. May the cp gods have mercy on my ignorant soul....

I found that gigantea is a species that should be kept at least a little wet year round. Keeping it for some time of the year under dry conditions and then try to make look like "The wet" as the Aussies say was probably the reason why it took so long to germinate.

Back