What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
Here are some of my Drosera that I thought are looking halfway decent. Enjoy.

I received these as a mini D. spatulata from Borneo, they stay extremely small
IMG_4000.jpg

D. cuneifolia
IMG_4001.jpg

D. trinervia - shouldn't these be dormant?
IMG_4003.jpg

D. graomogolensis
IMG_4007.jpg

D. madagascariensis - about time to cut them off again, they are growing into everything
IMG_4009.jpg

D. oblanceolata
IMG_4010.jpg

D. capillaris
IMG_4013.jpg

D. montana var. tomentosa
IMG_4025.jpg

D. auriculata Tasmania - Shouldn't these be dormant? Growing outside in the shade in 100F
(first year from seed, they were supposed to be stratifying)
IMG_3841.jpg

Very nice plants.

OMG!!! Your dews are soooo cool!! I love the capillaris, D. oblanceolata and D. graomogolensis!! Very nice!

They look great, Crystal!

Thanks guys! :)

Crissytal-
Incredibly well-grown sundews (and very nice photography too!). I need to look up some of those species.....they look worthy of a place in the collection. BTW, any secrets of success for growing the South American sundews in particular that you can pass on? Thank you very much for sharing! -Chris

Chris, Thank you! I'm still working on the photography. It's frustrating that I can't seem to do better (though I'm lazy and just point and click which is probably why LOL), at least they are turning out better then with my old camera. As far as South American dews go, try to keep them a bit cooler. My temperatures hover in the mid 70's during the summer time. Cooler would be better, but that's the best I can do without a basement. I have found that D. graminifolia and D. graomogolensis grow best in live Sphagnum. D. montana var. tomentosa grows in both peat mixes and live Sphagnum; it doesn't seem picky. I keep their feet wet all the time. Humidity varies depending on where I have them growing. It doesn't seem to be an issue except maybe with the D. graminifolia. If the humidity drops too quick, they drop their dew. It always comes back with an increase of humidity though. I hope this is helpful.

Crystal

I hope nobody still has dial-up hahaha.

Crystal your dews are always a candy for the eye (et least my eye for sure!:) ). Beautiful plants, thanx for sharing! :)

Kudos! Great job!

Awesome dews as usual. :D

gorgeous plants, Crissytal!

@ Woodnative:
D. graomogolensis has been the easiest sundew for me, since it has grown well even in 85F temps we have here during the Iowa summer. The Villosa and Ascendens in the same pot wilted after growing in the same temps as the Graomogolensis, but recovered when I brought them to the cooler basement. I have yet to move the D. graomogolensis, so it seems to tolerate warmer temps very well.

D. tomentosa also tolerates warmer temps for me very well, only if it's grown in live sphagnum for some reason... it always rots on me if I have it in warm temps and a peat: sand mix. However, it has done well in a peat:sand/perlite mix in 70F temps.

Back