What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera cultivation in closed bowls...

hello all,
for the past odd years of raising carnivorous plants, i've always noticed that when following the potted terrarium method, many people use pots that have drainage holes at the bottom. i know drainage holes are an necessity for certain species of carnivorous plants like Nepenthes, but are they necessary for Drosera, in my case specifically D. lanata?

i've never really liked the plastic pots that CPs grow in, and would like to plant it in something more presentable like this: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1390&f=34146
although i would rather have it in black and thoroughly glazed. if not, i'd probably used glass vases instead.

i know to stay away from unglazed terracotta, or metal pots, but what about matte finishes?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Woolly Sundews go dormant and the media should be on the dry side. Drainage holes help give you better control over the moisture levels.

Matt finishes can be porous. Metal pots - depends on the metal and how it has been treated or coated. Anything that oxidizes probably is not a good thing.

You can always put plastic pots into a decorative pot.

... but are they necessary for Drosera, in my case specifically D. lanata?
D. lanata comes from Northern Oz and likes it really hot & humid. Growing out in the open typically leads to failure ...

i've never really liked the plastic pots that CPs grow in, and would like to plant it in something more presentable like this: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=1390&f=34146
although i would rather have it in black and thoroughly glazed. if not, i'd probably used glass vases instead.
You can always drill a hole in the bottom w/ a diamond bit...

Some people have a lot of success allowing their plants to sit in stagnant water & develop anaerobic conditions in the media. I prefer to topwater whenever possible & flush the fluids through the pot. That's not possible without drainage...

thanks a lot for the input guys.
i guess drained pots are the way to go--especially to prevent mineral build up.

i should have been more specific earlier, sorry. although i would like to use a pot that looks like that, i would have placed it in a terrarium and would only take it out for photographic purposes.

or how about something like this?
DSC_0100.jpg

i would love it if something like this were feasible for CPs, although it would limit the selection...

Back