What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera cistiflora Question

A few months ago I bought a Drosera cistiflora that was a small rosette no larger than a dime. Since then, it has put up a stalk that is now about 2.5" tall and still growing quickly. Does this species always bloom when it puts up a stalk? Or will it just be leaves until it dies back in the summer?

In my experience, it only flowers when mature. About 6 - 8 inches in height. Probably still have another year or two before you see a flower. My experience is limited with this species though.

:pics: I love this species.

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I wasn't really expecting it to bloom yet, but the way it's been growing since the rain started, you never know. :D

The plant seems overjoyed that we're finally getting our winter (in March!), but I brought it inside to get a quick shot of it. There are actually two rosettes next to each other... Are they two separate plants or does a single tuber just have two growth points?

It's probably an offshoot from the roots or perhaps another plant from seed. This is not a tuberous species.

very beautiful plant Natalie! looking forward to seeing those purple flowered pics!

Oh... I guess I thought all the summer-dormant species were tuberous. How does D. cistiflora survive desiccating conditions in the summer?

EDIT: Amphirion - thanks! Looks like we'll have to wait another year, haha.

very thick roots, which basically function as water storage devices, not unlike tubers...but they're roots. :p

Ah, OK... I've seen it described as being tuberous a few different places so I guess that's why there was some confusion. Just found this on the Pacific Bulb Society website:

Drosera cistiflora is a South African species that is technically not a bulb, but it is a species that dies back in the summer to thick wiry roots from which they return each year.

Almost makes me want to dig one up and see what the roots look like. :D

you could... but best done during the summer while they are dormant.

Also possible to propagate via leaf cuttings

Back