What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drosera cistiflora question(s)...

Hi there!

This sundew is one of my favourites by far and I would like to see her in flower (so far just my wishful thinking;-))). I searched this and other forums and ws for more information about flowering, but with little success. This is my first season with this species.
My plant started erected growth about 2 weeks ago and it might very well be the fastest-growing sundew I know of. My guestion is, when does it usually flower (reaching what size/age?). I heard it is quite a challenge to make it flower in cultivation. Does she need direct natural sunlight to perform so? Or are artificial lights enough? Is she exigent of feeding, like other fast-growing dews?
Here I post a pic I of the plant in my terrarium this morning. Thanx for any useful advice! :)
DSCF0001-22.jpg

you've got a beautiful plant klasac. D. cistiflora is known very well for its spectacular flowers, however, if i am correct, the blooming is the final show: after it sets seed, it dies. i dont remember if this plant if self fertile, but considering that every S. African species of Drosera i can think of is, chances are that it is as well.

in addition to producing seed, i would take a couple of leaf cuttings now, just as insurance (use bottom rosette leaves)

Thanx amphirion for your prompt reply! I think d. cistiflora is self-fertile. The flowers are really something to see, that is why I posted this thread:).Dont know whether this is red or white flower form. I did not know that after she flowers the curtains go down! Doesnt she maybe just go into summer dormancy or sth like that? How tall/long does she get? Sorry for so many questions, but I think the curiosity is a path to success:)

you said there's a red or white flower form? i've only thought there were only purple and pink forms! as for height: it can reach up to heights of 30-33 cm. i also recall the savage garden noting that the pink form may come back instead of dying completely--but dont hold me to that... i think it's safer to assume that they all die after flowering, that way if it actually does come back, you can be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

Back