What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion and Requests Here -- Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads, Please!

If anybody's interested I could put some U. sandersonii or bisquamata up.

missing%20nan%20formation.bmp

:-(

doh!

not full now....

Aquatic plants, please, someone... :cry:

Also small freshwater fish. Killies, livebearers, anything. Pleeease.

Re: Drosera graminifolia - Botumirin, Minas Gerais, Brazil - FYI

Re: Drosera graminifolia - Botumirin, Minas Gerais, Brazil

Given the location this is D. spiralis under the new classification (Gonella, et al. 2013). D. graminifolia is found in only one area in narrowly defined habitats.

Paolo Gonella documents D. spiralis at Butumirin, Minas Gerais both in-situ and from herbarium specimens
(see captions)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0465781.109530.100001470251137&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...0465781.109530.100001470251137&type=3&theater
Album Drosera graminifolia e D. spiralis

From the article
Re-establishment of Drosera spiralis (Droseraceae), and a new circumscription of D. graminifolia

By PAULO MINATEL GONELLA, FERNANDO RIVADAVIA & PAULO TAKEO SANO
Specimens Examined (D.spiralis):—BRAZIL. Minas Gerais: Município de Botumirim, Rio do Peixe, 10 February 2011, Gonella et al. 372 (SPF), 06 September 2011, Gonella et al. 477 (SPF), 06 September 2011, Rivadavia 2704 (SPF)

Given the physical appearance from the posted photo these are D. spiralis

Drosera graminifolia and D. spiralis clearly represent morphologically and ecologically distinct taxa (Table 1), as well as being geographically isolated (Fig. 1) from each other, thus supporting the specific rank. Although the leaf shape of both species is superficially very similar, D. spiralis has several distinguishing characteristics such as the absence of TSG trichomes, the presence of a dense indumentum of glandular capitate trichomes (Fig. 4F), shorter eglandular hairs, tentacle-like emergences often present on sepals (Figs. 4G, 5E), reduced petioles that are usually shorter than (or as long as) the stipules (Fig. 5G), and smaller ovoid seeds (Fig. 4H).
Another character distinguishing D. graminifolia and D. spiralis is the mode by which young leaves unfurl from the center of the rosettes. In D. graminifolia young leaves are perfectly circular and circinate, unrolling like fern fronds (Fig. 3D), whereas in D. spiralis they are irregularly circinate, rolled up in a variety of angles and shapes, forming an ellipse bud in outline (Fig. 5F). This difference in leaf development may be merely a result of the more voluminous leaves of D. spiralis, which has petioles that are semicircular to transversely elliptic in cross section (versus very narrowly transversely elliptic in the flatter leaves of D. graminifolia).

Definition: translucent-yellow short-stalked multicellular globose (“TSG”) trichomes 0.1–0.12 mm in diameter

Gonellaetal2012-Re-establishmentofDroseraspiralis-page-013copy_zps79f1a13e.jpg

Gonellaetal2012-Re-establishmentofDroseraspiralis-page-004_zpsf118ed12.jpg

Gonellaetal2012-Re-establishmentofDroseraspiralis-page-008_zps0880d8b4.jpg

The "irregular circinate vernation" characteristic of D. spiralis is evident in the photo of the listing. Regular circinate vernation would be like winding a garden hose on a reel that is just as wide as the hose - a neat flat spiral. This isn't the best metric as D. spiralis at times can show regular vernation. Better metrics are the length of the eglandular trichomes (hairs), stipules and petioles - long stipules - short petioles = D. spiralis. Shorter neat, bristly looking hairs vs longer scraggly hairs = D. spiralis vs D. graminifolia. There are the presence of of a dense indumentum of glandular capitate trichomes on D. spiralis that is lacking on D. graminifolia. In the leaf cross-section D.graminifolia is more transversely elliptical vs more circular in D. spiralis. Most of these differences are clearly illustrated from the in-situ photos in Paolo Gonella's Facebook album linked above. Read the translated captions.

Of course you don't have to choose to use the new classifications and still use Diels 1906 classifications where there is only D. graminifolia. But you can't have it both ways and arbitrarily label one plant as one species and one as another when there are distinct characteristics to classify the species.

See also this thread which includes input from one of the authors of the above cited article, Fernando Rivadavia

Last edited:
Aquatic plants, please, someone... :cry:

Also small freshwater fish. Killies, livebearers, anything. Pleeease.
Any interest in North American native fish such as Darters? I can come up with some Tesselated Darters, Etheostoma olmstedi on a day's notice. But it requires wading in 50 F water, and I don't have waders, so if you're not interested I'd rather not! And I MIGHT be able to come up with a few Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish, Elassoma gilberti this weekend.

Last edited:
Would Anyone be interested in some pumice and/or cypress bark?

Any interest in North American native fish such as Darters? I can come up with some Tesselated Darters, Etheostoma olmstedi on a day's notice. But it requires wading in 50 F water, and I don't have waders, so if you're not interested I'd rather not! And I MIGHT be able to come up with a few Gulf Coast Pygmy Sunfish, Elassoma gilberti this weekend.

Elassoma gilberti, holy ishtar..... i told myself no. bettas are already a pain.

I got bored with them pretty quickly. I consider them a mathematical fish. Add food, subtract babies. The proper tanks are so heavily planted, water changes are practically optional. The food does have to be live, but grindals and micros are all you need, plus like kula said they love snails. But a disaster caused the loss of all of the records from my club's BAP program, so I'll do them again for the easy points. In a few months I'll be bored again and if anyone's interested I'll have them to spare.

Last edited:
Minimum opening Bid

Reminder people as per the posted auction rules the minimum opening bid is $2 USD.
All listings must have an opening bid price. Minimum opening bid is $2 but opening bid can be higher. This will be used in lieu of reserves to ensure no item sells for an unreasonably low price. Please keep opening bids below what you consider the value of the item to be. "Bargain hunting" encourages bidding

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...eading-for-Participation-in-2014-NASC-Auction

You know, I haven't seen a single Darlingtonia up for auction........

Or cephalotus....

My Darlingtonia and Cephalotus got decimated last year by mealybugs. They haven't recovered yet. It will be a few years before I can offer any. Otherwise I usually have Darlingtonia to offer.

Last edited:
Rules reminders:

Bids not in Whole US Dollars (USD) are invalid. Bids lower than the minimum increment are invalid. Bids in foreign currency (not USD) are invalid.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...eading-for-Participation-in-2014-NASC-Auction
BIDDING ON AN ITEM: All bids will be placed within the topic for each item; the thread following that topic (item) will be all bids posted and pertaining to that one item. *All amounts are in WHOLE U.S. DOLLARS.

BID INCREMENTS:
Please keep bids to WHOLE dollar amounts (no cents).
Bidding increments will be based on current high bid.
If the current high bid is between:
- $2-$19 you may place a bid no lower than $1 above the current bid
- $20-$49 you may place a bid no lower than $2 above the current bid
- $50 + you may place a bid no lower than $5 above the current bid
Bids higher than these minimums may be placed at any time.

For example: There is a Nepenthes listed; its current high bid is $5. You must bid AT LEAST $1 more (total $6 bid), but you can bid HIGHER (in even dollars). The Nepenthes bidding goes up to $20; you can bid $22 or higher (in $2 increments); the Nepenthes reaches $50; you can bid $55 or higher in $5 increments.

NOTE: If you do not understand bid increments, please contact me (Presto) or another NASC officer. We must have bid increments so people don't outbid by a few pennies.

**No bids (posts) can be edited and changed once posted; contact a moderator if you need to make a change on your listing. You may bid as often as you wish. No bids will be valid past stated auction ending time.

Last edited:
Someone list more aquatic plants and more small aquarium fish! :D

I have an aquarium club meeting tonight. If something neat comes up at auction and doesn't go through the roof I'll grab it and put it up.

Back