What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion and Requests Here -- Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads, Please!

Sorry, only fish that came up were Angels and some larger Livebearers. I did grab some interesting snails, unmolested wild type Pomacea diffusa, but interstate shipment requires a permit I don't have.

I guess this is more of a question for Andrew, but was the server upgraded to handle more people after last year's last-minute bidding issues? Or is it still the same? May affect sniping strategy lol.

Hey there's another chance I might get some small stuff fish up! The fiancee' of the speaker at our meeting is giving a presentation at another, larger club not too far away and a friend is going to check it out. I'm riding along so maybe...............

I guess this is more of a question for Andrew, but was the server upgraded to handle more people after last year's last-minute bidding issues? Or is it still the same? May affect sniping strategy lol.

I would advise against sniping. One you have a 30 second delay period between posts. Two Andrew had upgraded last year in anticipation of increased server traffic during the auction. I've participated in the auctions since 2007 the auction has crashed at least twice perhaps three times at the last few minutes.

Last edited:
Sorry, only fish that came up were Angels and some larger Livebearers. I did grab some interesting snails, unmolested wild type Pomacea diffusa, but interstate shipment requires a permit I don't have.

Hey SubRosa, your PM box is full!!

I would like to see some aquatic Utricularia (especially affixed aquatics like intermedia and minor). In fact, I'll put up some geminiscapa for auction if anyone is interested in it.

I hope ozzy has a purp in boiling springs. I would pay handsomely for a legally wild collected plant!

The server was upgraded, but that just keeps the whole server from going slow/crashing completely... What tends to happen now (and I believe what NaN is referring to) is the "hits" that is allowed regardless of what server you have. That limit is 300 hits per second, if that happens you start getting database errors. On a shared server you only get 48 max_connections...

Definitely remember the 30 second delay between postings! Instead of refreshing your watched items over and over and over... How about watch the chatbox to see when things get replied to so you can reply back =) OR better yet, just put in your max bid and wait for it to end to see if you win!

I believe the current server is:
Dedicated (only my sites are on it)
4 core i7 processor
12 gig ram

last year was
dedicated
2.4ghz dual core operon
4 gig ram

But remember last year's load :p

server+2013+auction.jpg

Good luck to us all. :p

Last edited:
@adnedarn - a very substantial upgrade!. Just the same, we have been warned.

Just wanted to say that I am pleased to see Drosera ultramafica × spatulata is generating interest in the auction. This is a wonderful hybrid.

If anyone has aquatic plants, like Downoi (Pogostemon helferi) or bunch plants (preferably small leaves) in their aquariums, I'd definitely place some bids if there's a reasonable price. Also looking for killifish.

I would like to see some tillandsia

I would love to see some rarer Nepenthes (cthulu138 has some nice ones). Ephippiata? Hamata? Aristoloichiodes?

More freshwater plants please! They'd come right as I fill up my tank that's currently in a dry start.

Would anyone be interested in me listing an N. 'Gothica' or N. ventricosa rooted cutting? N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana? 2-month-old Nepenthes seeds that may or may not be 100% viable?

Still hoping for some rare purps!

@adnedarn - a very substantial upgrade!. Just the same, we have been warned.

Just remember, the failure point last year was the connection count... Too many people refreshing too many pages too often. And that number doesn't change. I wish there were a way to limit connections per IP address or something, that could keep those who are not lagging the system running clear. Oh well.

Would anyone be interested in ... N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana? 2-month-old Nepenthes seeds that may or may not be 100% viable?

Yes, I would take my chances on 2 month old nepenthes seed.

Where the LL neps at? haven't seen a single amp this year!

N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana? 2-month-old Nepenthes seeds that may or may not be 100% viable?

I don't think you've crossed burbidgea with edwardsiana yourself, so I expect you mean you have seeds from the Malesiana clone of burb-eddie, yes? In that case, what was it crossed with?

Back