What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappearing S. purpurea

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I thought it was 4 years since I visited the Sarracenia purpurea in PA, but forgot about this post.:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?122594-Sarracenia-purpurea-poached-in-PA

I was told about the Sarracenia purpurea by a friend who had discovered them in the 1970's.

Today when I visited, I could not find any Drosera rotundifolia growing around the lake as I had all the previous times I visited.
When I made my way upstream to the growing location of the Sarracenia purpurea, I was able to find Drosera rotundifolia growing along the stream banks.
At the site for the Sarracenia purpurea, I was disappointed by what I saw. Instead of a large multi growing patch of plants, (Forgot about the above mentioned post) with several satellite plants, there was 2 small plants at the main location and 1 satellite plant 3' away.
This is sad as it seems the carnivorous plants in the area are being out competed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ujRGIMSfwr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very sad indeed!

I have sent you a PM since you live in PA, a bog where the plants still are not outcompeted...

That's very unfortunate. At least it is a natural depletion, and not because of poachers.

Do you still have that seedgrown purp from that location? It would be awesome if you shared a pic or two.

I wonder if the waters have more pollutants...

Probably lack of controlled burns.

A burn might help the S. purpurea, but I find it very strange that there used to be lots of D. rotundifloria growing on the banks of the lake, and like I said, I found none.... my guess is that some mineral / chemical is building up in the water supply that the plants do not like.

That's very unfortunate. At least it is a natural depletion, and not because of poachers.

Do you still have that seedgrown purp from that location? It would be awesome if you shared a pic or two.

Seed grown plant. S. pururea spp. purpurea from the above location.
spurp-3.jpg

Beautiful plant Steve. I want to get up to the tannersville cranberry bog to check out there purps.

That's a nice strain! The disappearance of D. rotundifolia is suspicious....

Wow nice strain!! I think the disappearance of roundafolia on the shores is from all that shade they are getting. I'd say its time for a burn.

Back