What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difficulty levels for propagating Drosera sp.

For those of you that are members of the ICPS you might have read my article regarding propagation of D. capensis utilizing wounding and cytokinin to induce more prolific bud formation. For those of you that are not, if you are interested in reading it shoot me a pm and i'll email it to you.

Anyway, I am looking to expand this research to include more Drosera species. I have already completed a replication of this experiment using D. spatulata and I was hoping to include at least 2 other species before writing another paper. I have a few D. filiformis but not enough to do the study with. I would like to try to include a species that is supposed to be relatively difficult to propagate and a species that is supposed to be impossible to propagate via leaf cuttings/pullings.

I have heard that D. burmanii is difficult via leaf cuttings, but not impossible, and that D. indica is impossible to propagate via leaf cuttings. I have very limited funds for this research and I need enough plants to take 150 leaf cuttings by this spring at the absolute latest. My deadline for having the plants is February because I need enough time to finish collecting data before I graduate. Does anyone have any suggestions for species I could use for this? The plants must be able to live in 75-85F days and nights between 65-75F, so species like D. regia are kind of out of the question unless someone wants to donate enough plants for me to take 150 cuttings from :-O

So basically, I am asking what species you all would like this experiment to be done with? and if any of you have plants you could spare for this shoot me a pm. Should the research yield mass amounts of plants like the D. capensis study did I would gladly share the plants back with people who donated. Thanks everyone!

Not sure how quickly they germ, but SDCPs has an indica seed giveaway thread at the cost of a stamp/ 100 pack. I havn't got mine yet but when they come as opposed to sprouting a portion like I was planning, I could plant them all and donate to your cause. Otherwise perhaps you could contact him/her to make arrangements. Good luck Mason and let me know if I can help.

D. indica is not impossible, however the daughter plants tend not to be very vigorous and usually don't flower.

You could try D. regia

Regards :-O

Pygmies are difficult to root leaf cuttings of. The main problem is getting cuttings in the first place.

NaN I have not heard of anybody getting leaf cuttings to strike for D. indica ever. I have heard of cutting off the top and rooting that which qualifies as a stem cutting but never leaf cuttings.

Shortbus, I've got tons of D. indica seed and plan on starting them soon. If you would like to start some and grow them out for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Firerock, I do not have the proper conditions to grow D. regia, plus they are expensive unless you want to donate enough plants for 150 cuttings there's no way.

Graham, very true. I don't think anyone has enough plants for me to take 150 leaf cuttings of it.

You haven't seen my D. roseanna. I think one of the plants has close to 80 leaves on it.

but when propagating only the freshest, fully unfurled leaves should be used so i highly doubt all 80 of those leaves are viable for leaf cutting propagation.

I do have a lot of them.

Back